Motivation to Exercise | Teen Ink

Motivation to Exercise

April 19, 2019
By KingKarma101 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
KingKarma101 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing."

-Albert Einstein


Obesity is a condition when a person builds up to dangerous amounts of body fat. Roughly around 20% of kids in the United States have too much body fat (Tecco). Normally, when people know that they need to accomplish something, such as finishing to pay off debts from college or trying to afford a new device, they set goals. Creating goals to become more physically active is a high-quality solution to the problem of obesity; this can help to motivate someone to exercise and to track their progress.


To begin with, there are numerous effects on obesity that can motivate someone to try to avoid it and exercise more frequently. About 66% of American kids and almost 70% of adults don’t exercise on a daily basis (Tecco). In a survey of 27 students, 26 out of the 27 students believe that obesity is a problem, but 11 out of the 27 students don’t get enough exercise, which is 3.5 hours per week. When a person barely exercises and starts to become more stationary and not active, this can cause him/her to become a couch potato, or to decrease time in exercising and increase time in being lazy. In addition to this, becoming a couch potato can lead to obesity. Obesity can cause chronic diseases, such as high blood pressure, type two diabetes, and heart disease, just to name a few.


Equally as important, there are plenty of outcomes in exercising that motivates someone to want to exercise. Exercise is any physical activity that’s planned, structured, and repetitive. Effects when exercising consists of decreasing depression, stress, and anxiety. This would benefit a person's state of mind and increase blitheness, continuing the cycle of creating goals.
Finally, creating goals lead to a process of exercising on a daily basis. It helps to motivate someone and track their progress. For example, there’s a man who wants to become healthier and decides to exercise for about two hours per day. That man would track his progress by measuring his weight and keeping track of how much pounds he has lost. Setting goals also help to motivate someone to keep on trying to accomplish that goal in a way that some people might not realize.


In conclusion, one solution to the problem of obesity is to create goals about becoming more physically active so a person can track their progress. Setting goals can increase exertion rates and decrease the chances of getting obese. After getting used to creating goals and increasing fitness, it would be rare for someone to say that exercising isn’t amusing.


The author's comments:

This article is to inspire people to increase the amount of exercise in the world by setting goals to become more physically active.