Why Restaurants Should Display Calories | Teen Ink

Why Restaurants Should Display Calories

June 7, 2022
By Anonymous

Everything we eat and drink, besides water, contains calories. Calories are important because they give you energy. The bad side about calories is that the more you eat the more weight you gain. That is why people are careful about how many calories they consume, and why most restaurants should display calories in their menus. Calorie labeling on menus can help you make informed and healthful decisions about meals and snacks. People need to know how many calories their food contains because it helps them with their diet. People might need to lose weight so instead of not eating when going to restaurants because they are unsure of how many calories it has, the restaurants could easily display the calories on their menus so everyone can keep track of how much they consume. People might think that healthy foods are low in calories, that is not true and could cause them to gain more weight. There would be no confusion here if restaurants showed the calories each food has.  

This doesn’t only apply to people who are trying to lose weight, it applies to people who are trying to gain weight and bodybuilders. They need to know how much they eat to progress and reach their daily goal. They also need proteins and nutrients, so they can't eat random junk foods instead of normal meals, so if the restaurant shows the calories their foods have, people can eat healthily and still consume their daily calories. If the calories don't show, then people might make poor choices and eat way more calories than they intended to, and it would cause them to ruin their health and have fewer health benefits. Another way people try to keep track of their calories is by looking it up online. This is a helpful solution to many foods, but it still might not be correct. The specific meal the restaurant has might not be online or could show a different number of calories than the actual meal.  

The downside to displaying calories in menus is that it can be dangerous to people with eating disorders. They might not want to eat after looking at the calories. This is a mental issue and can’t be fixed by the restaurants, but they can put foods with low calories and show them so people with eating disorders or people with a low-calorie diet can still eat without having to worry about the calories they just consumed. Showing calories can also help people recover from any kind of eating disorder (for example anorexia, binge eating, bulimia, and many more) because they can keep track of how much they eat without feeling guilty. In conclusion, if every restaurant displayed their calories, it could help a lot of people reach their goal.