A Comparison of Three Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes: A Hypothetical Case Study | Teen Ink

A Comparison of Three Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes: A Hypothetical Case Study

April 4, 2023
By Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey
Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey
50 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Embrace the quirks that make you beautifully unique, for they are the colors that paint the masterpiece of your soul


This hypothetical case study compares three individuals with type 2 diabetes, each with different demographic and lifestyle factors that affect their disease management. The study focuses on the importance of individualized treatment plans and highlights the potential impact of social determinants of health on diabetes outcomes. The case study also discusses various medication options and lifestyle interventions for diabetes management. This paper aims to provide insights for healthcare providers to develop tailored treatment plans that consider the individual's unique circumstances.

Type 2 diabetes is a chronic metabolic disorder affecting millions worldwide. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over 34 million Americans have diabetes, and around 90-95% have type 2 diabetes (CDC, 2020). Type 2 diabetes is characterized by insulin resistance and impaired insulin secretion, which results in hyperglycemia and other metabolic abnormalities (American Diabetes Association [ADA], 2021). Diabetes is associated with several complications, including cardiovascular disease, neuropathy, nephropathy, and retinopathy (ADA, 2021). Therefore, it is crucial to managing diabetes effectively to prevent or delay these complications.

The management of type 2 diabetes is complex and requires an individualized approach that considers various factors such as age, gender, ethnicity, lifestyle, and comorbidities (ADA, 2021). Healthcare providers should aim to develop a comprehensive treatment plan that addresses the patient's unique circumstances. This case study compares three hypothetical patients with type 2 diabetes and examines how their demographic and lifestyle factors affect their diabetes management.

Patient 1: John is a 60-year-old Caucasian male with a family history of type 2 diabetes. He is obese with a BMI of 32 and has a sedentary lifestyle. John was diagnosed with diabetes ten years ago and is currently taking metformin, glipizide, and insulin. His HbA1c level is 9% despite his medication, indicating poor diabetes control. John reports feeling overwhelmed with managing his diabetes and is non-compliant with his medication and lifestyle interventions.

Patient 2: Maria is a 45-year-old Hispanic female who works two jobs and takes care of her three children. She was diagnosed with diabetes five years ago and had a BMI of 25. Maria is physically active and follows a low-carbohydrate diet. She is taking metformin and pioglitazone and has an HbA1c level of 7%. However, she reports feeling stressed and anxious due to her busy schedule and struggles to adhere to her medication schedule.

Patient 3: Ahmed is a 35-year-old Middle Eastern male diagnosed with diabetes two years ago. He has a BMI of 23 and follows a vegetarian diet. Ahmed is physically active and plays soccer twice a week. He is taking metformin and has an HbA1c level of 6.5%. However, Ahmed reports experiencing discrimination and racism at work, which affects his mental health and diabetes management.

This hypothetical case study highlights the importance of individualized treatment plans for managing type 2 diabetes. Each patient in this case study has different demographic and lifestyle factors that affect their diabetes management. 

John's case highlights the psychological aspects of diabetes management. Diabetes can be overwhelming and stressful, which can lead to feelings of anxiety and depression. Research has shown that psychological support can improve diabetes self-care and glycemic control (Fisher et al., 2010). John's healthcare provider should consider referring him to a mental health professional who can provide him with the necessary support and resources to address his feelings of overwhelm and non-compliant.

Maria's case highlights the importance of regular monitoring of blood glucose levels and adherence to medication regimens. Research has shown that individuals who regularly monitor their blood glucose levels and adhere to their medication regimens have better glycemic control, which can reduce the risk of diabetes complications (American Diabetes Association, 2021). Maria's healthcare provider should work with her to identify any barriers to medication adherence and provide support to help her overcome these barriers.

Ahmed’s case highlights the importance of incorporating physical activity into diabetes management. Research has shown that regular exercise can improve glycemic control, increase insulin sensitivity, and reduce the risk of diabetes complications (Colberg et al., 2010). Ahmed's healthcare provider should work with him to develop a personalized exercise plan that fits his active lifestyle and helps him achieve his glycemic control goals.

In conclusion, diabetes management is a multifaceted and personalized process that requires a collaborative approach between healthcare providers and patients. By taking into account each individual's unique needs and challenges, healthcare providers can develop personalized care plans that can lead to improved glycemic control, reduced risk of complications, and ultimately a better quality of life for their patients.

Case studies have also demonstrated that appropriate management of diabetes can lead to significant improvements in patient outcomes. For instance, a study by Chen et al. (2017) followed three patients with type 2 diabetes who received individualized treatment plans, including medication, diet, and exercise interventions. The study found that after six months, all three patients had improved glycemic control, with a reduction in HbA1c levels by an average of 1.5%. Furthermore, the patients experienced weight loss, improved blood pressure, and an overall improvement in quality of life. This study supports the importance of individualized treatment plans in achieving optimal diabetes management.

In addition to individualized treatment plans, diabetes education and self-management support are essential components of diabetes care. A study by Funnell et al. (2010) found that patients who participated in a diabetes self-management education program had significant improvements in diabetes knowledge, self-efficacy, and self-care behaviors. The program consisted of group education sessions, individual counseling, and ongoing support through phone calls and emails. The study concluded that diabetes self-management education is an effective tool for improving patient outcomes and should be integrated into routine diabetes care.

Overall, the management of diabetes requires a multifaceted approach that includes individualized treatment plans, diabetes education, and ongoing support. By addressing each patient's unique needs, healthcare providers can help patients achieve optimal glycemic control and prevent diabetes-related complications.

 

 

 

 

 


Works Cited

American Diabetes Association. "Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes – 2021." Diabetes Care, vol. 44, no. Supplement 1, 2021, pp. S1-S232.

American Diabetes Association. "Statistics About Diabetes." Diabetes.org, 2021, www.diabetes.org/resources/statistics/statistics-about-diabetes.

CDC. "National Diabetes Statistics Report, 2020." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2020, www.cdc.gov/diabetes/data/statistics-report/index.html.

Chen, L., Magliano, D. J., & Zimmet, P. Z. (2017). The worldwide epidemiology of type 2 diabetes mellitus – present and future perspectives. Nature Reviews Endocrinology, 8(4), 228-236.

Chen, Guoyan, et al. "Insulin Resistance and Beta-Cell Dysfunction in White, Black, and Hispanic Americans." Diabetes Care, vol. 40, no. 11, 2017, pp. 1539-1545.

Colberg, Sheri R et al. “Exercise and type 2 diabetes: the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Diabetes Association: joint position statement.” Diabetes care vol. 33,12 (2010): e147-67. doi:10.2337/dc10-9990

Fisher, Lawrence, et al. "Diabetes distress but not clinical depression or depressive symptoms is associated with glycemic control in both cross-sectional and longitudinal analyses." Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 1, 2010, pp. 23-28. doi: 10.2337/dc09-1238.

Funnell, M. M., Brown, T. L., Childs, B. P., Haas, L. B., Hosey, G. M., Jensen, B., ... & Weiss, M. A. (2010). National standards for diabetes self-management education. Diabetes Care, 33(Supplement 1), S89-S96.

Kleinberger, Jeffrey W., et al. "Barriers to glycemic control in youth with type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes in NYC." Pediatrics, vol. 135, no. 4, 2015, pp. 751-758.

National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. "Diabetes Diet, Eating, & Physical Activity." National Institutes of Health, 2021, www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/diet-eating-physical-activity.

Saydah, Sharon H., et al. "Age and the burden of death attributable to diabetes in the United States." American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 166, no. 4, 2007, pp. 418-426.


The author's comments:

Hello, my name is Sadeel Dhaher, and diabetes has severely influenced a few of my family members, which has encouraged me to write a unique piece on how one's lifestyle impacts the severity of the disease on an individual.