Why Eat Organic? | Teen Ink

Why Eat Organic?

I grew up always eating organic and natural foods. It was always important to my parents to be mindful of the way they ate. As long as I can remember, they preferred to buy produce from local farm stands, buy organic foods from the grocery stores and co-ops, and I go to the farmers market with my mom whenever I can in the spring and summer seasons.

When my dad was growing up, his parents were always mindful about eating healthy, but my dad didn’t really start eating mostly organic until he moved out and was able to buy his own food. My mom grew up in South America and had never really heard ‘organic’ until she moved to the states. The reason my parents make these choices in the way they eat is because it is better for their bodies and their environment, which is true. 

Organic food in the US has to fit a specific set of rules. Organic produce may not be grown under the use of synthetic pesticides, fertilizers, and herbicides. The use of GMOs(genetically modified organisms) is also unpermitted. If there is any use of pesticides in organic farming, it is derived Bfrom natural materials. Organic livestock and their products also have a specific set of rules that has to be followed. Their living conditions must accommodate their natural habits. This is why you usually see “grass fed” on a package of organic beef. Organic livestock also has to be fed certified organic feed. They cannot be given hormones, antibiotics, or any animal by-products. 

Although organic food production started as an alternative farming method to mainstream farming practices, it has recently grown into a multi billion dollar industry. The organic food industry typically split into two distinct sections. One being small family-owned farms that may not be certified organic, but follow the same farming practices that are associated with being organic. The other being certified organic produce and foods from much larger farms that are often sold in grocery stores, such as Hannaford. The smaller family-owned farms often depend on a very curated local group of consumers, while the larger companies who have a more widespread distribution of their product. Buying from either or both is important to supporting your local and national economy. Buying and eating organic benefits both the customer and the producer.  

There are many health benefits that come with eating organic. Eating organic produce and livestock can largely increase the amount of chemicals in your diet because chemical use is not permitted when growing organic food. Eating organic allows you to have a cleaner diet because there are bans on artificial colors and flavors. The use of preservatives is also not tolerated. Organic food can also greatly improve your nutrition. Organic food contains more vitamins, intervals, enzymes, and micronutrients than commercially grown food. There are also health benefits to the local environment when organic food is grown. Growing organic food makes healthy soil because of the use of natural fertilizers such as compost and manure by organic farmers. The healthy soil helps create and support a healthy environment. Organic farming also helps build a healthy environment by protecting pollinators and wildlife from toxic chemicals that are typically used to grow commercial crops. Organic farming also has many more benefits, one being that the use of fossil fuel based fertilizers and many synthetic pesticides are banned in organic farming, which creates a significantly lower carbon footprint in agriculture. 

The next time you walk into a grocery store, think about how what you buy affects you and the rest of the world. Be mindful. 

Works Cited

Brook, Lena. “Organic Agriculture Helps Solve Climate Change.” Be a Force for the Future, 9 June 2022, nrdc.org/bio/lena-brook/organic-agriculture-helps-solve-climate-change#:~:text=Organic%20Farming%20Reduces%20Greenhouse%20Gases,farm%20chemicals%20are%20energy%20intensive. 

Duram, Leslie A. “Organic Food.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., britannica.com/topic/organic-food. 

Onlyorganic. “15 Reasons to Eat Organic.” Only Organic, 19 Sept. 2019, onlyorganic.org/15-reasons-to-eat-organic/. 

Robinson, Lawrence. “Organic Foods: What You Need to Know.” HelpGuide.org, 1 Mar. 2023, helpguide.org/articles/healthy-eating/organic-foods.htm.