Euthanasia for Chronic Conditions: A Balancing Act | Teen Ink

Euthanasia for Chronic Conditions: A Balancing Act

July 4, 2023
By samikshaa_p SILVER, Woodinville, Washington
samikshaa_p SILVER, Woodinville, Washington
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Euthanasia, a topic that elicits strong emotions and ethical deliberations, refers to the intentional act of ending a person's life to relieve their suffering. This practice has garnered significant attention, particularly in the context of chronic conditions, where individuals may face unrelenting pain and a diminished quality of life. The ethical considerations surrounding euthanasia for those with chronic conditions require a careful examination of compassionate motivations, scientific evidence, and the complex interplay between patient autonomy and societal values. By exploring these facets, we can gain a deeper understanding of the delicate balance between compassion and ethics when considering end-of-life choices for individuals enduring prolonged suffering.

The Burden of Chronic Conditions:

Chronic conditions impose a heavy burden on individuals, both physically and emotionally. These conditions encompass a wide range of illnesses, including advanced-stage cancers, neurodegenerative diseases, and end-stage organ failures. The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that chronic diseases account for approximately 71% of all deaths globally. Such conditions often result in unmanageable pain, loss of functional abilities, and a diminished quality of life. Scientific studies highlight the profound impact of chronic conditions on individuals' physical and psychological well-being. Research demonstrates that individuals with chronic conditions experience higher rates of depression, anxiety, and decreased overall satisfaction with life. The burden of chronic conditions extends beyond the individuals themselves to their families and caregivers, who witness their loved ones' suffering.

Efficacy of Palliative Care:

Palliative care plays a pivotal role in providing relief to patients with chronic conditions. It focuses on alleviating pain, managing symptoms, and improving the quality of life. Through a multidisciplinary approach, palliative care professionals address physical, psychological, and spiritual needs. While palliative care offers significant benefits, there are instances where conventional treatments fail to adequately alleviate suffering. Scientific studies indicate that a subset of individuals with chronic conditions experiences refractory symptoms, where pain and distress persist despite palliative interventions. For these individuals, the option of euthanasia may provide an alternative means to escape relentless suffering.

Global Evidence on Euthanasia:

Examining empirical evidence from countries where euthanasia is legalized also provides valuable insights into its impact on patients with chronic conditions. The Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg are among the countries that permit euthanasia under specific circumstances. Analyzing statistical data from these nations can shed light on the practice's prevalence and characteristics. Statistics from the Netherlands indicate that approximately 4.4% of deaths in 2020 resulted from euthanasia or physician-assisted suicide, amounting to around 7,400 cases. These individuals typically had advanced-stage diseases and faced unbearable suffering. In Belgium, approximately 2.4% of all deaths in 2018 were the result of euthanasia or physician-assisted suicide. The data reveals that individuals who choose euthanasia often have well-documented, advanced-stage diseases with severe symptoms that are unresponsive to conventional treatments.

Safeguards and Regulations:

Implementing stringent safeguards and regulatory frameworks is crucial to address the ethical concerns associated with euthanasia. Countries that have legalized euthanasia have developed comprehensive protocols and guidelines to ensure careful evaluation and protect against potential abuse or coercion. For instance, in the Netherlands, physicians must follow a strict set of criteria. This includes confirming the patient's incurable condition, ensuring their voluntary and well-considered request, and obtaining a second medical opinion. The decision-making process involves a careful assessment of the patient's physical and psychological condition, considering their capacity to provide informed consent.

Public Opinion and Patient Autonomy:

Surveys and polls indicate varying degrees of public support for the legalization of euthanasia for individuals with chronic conditions. These statistics reflect society's recognition of the importance of patient autonomy and the right to make decisions regarding their own lives, particularly in the context of severe suffering. For instance, a survey conducted in the United States in 2020 found that 66%  of respondents supported allowing doctors to legally end a patient's life if the person had a painful and incurable disease. Similarly, a survey in Belgium revealed that 86% of respondents agreed that euthanasia should be allowed in cases of unbearable suffering from a chronic condition.


My Experience:

Personally, I believe that euthanasia is vital to the concept of compassionate healthcare. After recently starting to work in the field of hospice care, all the doubts that I had instantly went away. This isn’t just my story, in fact a majority of the volunteers and employees at the hospice center now support euthanasia regardless of their religious beliefs. At one point, the suffering and pain that the patient feels, being constantly poked and prodded, having to rely so heavily on and not being able to provide for their family, strips them of any dignity that they have left. In my state, Washington, euthanasia is actually legal because of the Death with Dignity Act of 2009. However, this act is not well known, meaning that thousands of patients in hospice and the ICU are uneducated on their access to euthanasia. When I mentioned this to my dad as we drove back from my hospice training, he had a look of surprise on his face and said, “I didn’t know they did that in Washington.” Moreover, since this is implemented only on the state level, and is still legal on the federal level, so federally funded hospitals and many religious hospitals do not offer this service, making access even more difficult. It’s only when you see your patient express that they “wished they didn’t have to put up with this every day” or “hoped that Jesus would come get them this weekend”, that you understand how important this measure is.


Ultimately, the ethical discourse surrounding euthanasia for individuals with chronic conditions calls for empathy, compassion, and a commitment to alleviating suffering. By embracing scientific evidence, statistical insights, and a profound respect for individual autonomy, we can navigate the complexities of this topic and strive to provide a compassionate and dignified approach to end-of-life choices. In the end, the goal is to ensure that individuals facing unrelenting pain and suffering have the option to make informed decisions about their own lives, while upholding the highest ethical standards and preserving the sanctity of life. By approaching this topic with empathy and understanding, we can seek a harmonious balance between compassion and ethics, leading to a more humane society.


Works Cited:

World Federation of Right to Die Societies: worldrtd.net

Death with Dignity National Center: deathwithdignity.org

Euthanasia.com: euthanasia.com

The Euthanasia Prevention Coalition: epcc.ca/ 

Dying with Dignity Canada: dyingwithdignity.ca/ 

ProCon.org - Euthanasia: euthanasia.procon.org

National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization: nhpco.org

European Association for Palliative Care: eapcnet.eu/ 

The Hastings Center - Bioethics Research Institute: thehastingscenter.org

End of Life Liberty Project: endoflifeliberty.org