Fake Health with Lots of Stealth! | Teen Ink

Fake Health with Lots of Stealth!

By jdarbo SILVER, Los Angeles, California
jdarbo SILVER, Los Angeles, California

Healthy foods ain’t so healthy. Recently, Tik Toker Matt Rosenman has gone viral with his video series of rebranding unhealthy snacks such as doritos and Takis into organic superfoods that sound great for you. For example, Rosenmen changes the “Hot Cheetos” packaging to include: “No trans fat, gluten free, and no cholesterol”. The final result looks nothing short of an extremely healthy and safe snack. The Tik Toker plays on the loose regulations of using impressive terms such as “Artisan” and “No Trans fat” on food packaging. At first, I didn’t think anything of the series, just funny videos showcasing some impressive editing skills. What I later realized was that if an amateur in his bedroom can so easily distort our image of a food's health factor, then billion dollar companies must be doing the same. The next day, I paid attention to all the ingredients in my seemingly healthy snacks at home and my suspicions were confirmed. 

Lots of the stuff I found in my pantry I thought was healthy, turned out to be super bad for me. Even the healthiest looking snacks such as protein bars were filled with artificial preservatives and ingredients I couldn’t pronounce. Despite looking great, these companies sneak in bad ingredients and overreport meaningless tags and this is how they get away with it:

"Low-fat" or "fat-free" claims: Food companies often label products as "low-fat" or "fat-free" to appeal to health-conscious consumers. However, these claims can be misleading. When fat is removed from a product, it often affects the taste and texture. To compensate for this, companies may increase the amounts of sugar, artificial sweeteners, or additives, which can have negative health effects. Additionally, some fats are essential for the absorption of certain nutrients. Thus, simply being low in fat does not automatically make a product healthy.

"Sugar-free" or "no added sugar" claims: With the increasing concern over sugar consumption, food companies often highlight "sugar-free" or "no added sugar" on their products. While this may sound like a healthier option, it's essential to scrutinize the ingredient list. These products may contain artificial sweeteners or sugar substitutes, which can have their own drawbacks and potential health risks. Furthermore, they may still be high in naturally occurring sugars or other carbohydrates.

"Organic" claims: The organic label is regulated in many countries and implies that the product is produced without synthetic pesticides, genetically modified organisms (GMOs), or artificial additives. While organic products are generally considered more environmentally friendly, the label does not guarantee superior nutritional quality. Organic products can still be high in unhealthy fats, sugars, or sodium. It's important to assess the overall nutritional profile rather than relying solely on the organic label.

"Gluten-free" claims: Food companies often promote their products as "gluten-free" to cater to individuals with celiac disease or gluten sensitivities. However, this claim has been misused by some companies to create a perception of healthiness for all consumers. Gluten-free products can still be high in calories, unhealthy fats, sugars, or artificial additives. Unless you have a specific dietary need to avoid gluten, it's crucial to evaluate the entire nutritional profile of the product.

"All-natural" or "real" claims: The terms "all-natural" or "made with real [ingredient]" create an impression of healthiness and wholesome ingredients. However, these claims are not strictly regulated and can be used liberally by food companies. Natural does not always mean healthy, and a product can still contain high amounts of sugar, unhealthy fats, or artificial additives while using these terms. It's crucial to examine the ingredient list and nutritional information to make informed choices.

"Superfood" claims: Food companies may promote their products as "superfoods" to capitalize on the growing interest in nutrient-dense foods. While some foods do contain high levels of beneficial nutrients, the term "superfood" is not a recognized scientific category. It is important to consider the overall nutritional profile of the product rather than relying solely on marketing claims.

By understanding these techniques and being critical of the tags and labels on food products, consumers can make more informed decisions about their food choices and prioritize their health