Teenage Alcohol Abuse | Teen Ink

Teenage Alcohol Abuse

By KandiceMichelle PLATINUM, Stansonburg, North Carolina
KandiceMichelle PLATINUM, Stansonburg, North Carolina

"Yet God has made everything BEAUTIFUL for its own time. He has planted ETERNITY in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end." -Ecclesiastes 3:11

Teens and alcohol have been a big factor to teen deaths. From car crashes, homicides, or suicide, most of them started with alcohol. About half of Juniors and Seniors today drink on a monthly basis. 14% of teens have been intoxicated at least once this past year, and 8% of teens now Binge drink.

Binge Drinking is drinking at least five of more drinks in a row. No one is for sure who started it, but it's become a hit for teens no a days. Makes you wonder if they are even thinking about what it can do to them. Binge drinking at an early age can lead to alcoholism a lot earlier then most would think. Lets say you start drinking around 13, by the time your 15 your binge drinking, then by 21 you have a problem.

Each year over 2,000 people under 21 die in car crashes in which underage drinking is to blame. Car crashes are the leading cause of deaths, and about 31% is to blame on alcohol.

The effects of alcohol differ from person to person, but studies show these are the most common effects:

-Decreases the ability to pay attention.

-The younger the person begins drinking, the more likely they are to develop a drinking problem.

-Teens who drink are 3 times more likely to kill themselves than those who don't drink.

-Kids who drink are more likely to engage in sexual activites, unprotected sex, or sex with a stranger.

-Alcohol can lead to emotional problems, for example, anxiety or depression.

-Alochol problems can lead to drug problems.

The effects can be deadly, so it's best to wait till you're 21, or you migh

Kendall said...
this is Great! :)