Arthritis | Teen Ink

Arthritis MAG

When you hear the word arthritis, what do you think of?When I first learned about it, I was told it was a problem people have whenthey're older, but it has changed my life. I am 17 years old and have had chronicarthritis that has affected my muscles and nerves for eight months.

Itall started when I had unexplainable pain in my shoulder and neck. My doctorthought it was because I was constantly carrying a 50-pound back pack and if Istopped carrying it, the pain would go away. Well, the pain only got worse - muchworse. It got to the point where I was almost in tears every day. It wasaffecting everything.

If it was rainy or cold, I was really miserable.It got to the point where I was taking heavy pain medication. After a month ofpure agony, my doctor finally figured out what was causing so much pain:arthritis.

Do I have to live with this pain for the rest of my life? Iwondered at first. No, my doctor assured me. Since it was caught early andbecause I am young, if I took care of myself, I could perhaps reverse it. So, nowI have a shot every four to six months, take daily medication to prevent pain,and take a mild dose of codeine if I have a really bad day.

The paindoesn't control me anymore, I control it. Every day I am in some sort of pain,but thanks to the treatment, it doesn't affect my life too much anymore. In thefuture I plan to have surgery to correct this, probably when I finish highschool.

Even though it's a daily fight, I know that I can face a futurewithout arthritis interfering. I can even play sports, thanks to modern medicine.