The Inedible School Lunch | Teen Ink

The Inedible School Lunch

January 11, 2013
By E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota
E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota
19 articles 2 photos 145 comments

I know that every kid in public school complains about how bad their school’s lunch program is, but my school should have major health violations. The food itself is alright, but the way it is prepared is just awful. There are bugs on the fruit, hair in the main serving, and the food is always either room temperature or cold.

The reason why there are bugs on the fruit is because they don’t wash it. It goes from where it was picked, into a truck, to the school, and into our mouths. Who knows what it could have come into contact with? My friend recently found a dead beetle crushed around the stem of her apple. The rest of us could hardly eat after seeing it, and didn’t dare touch the fruit. Each piece looks disgusting as is. It is nowhere near supermarket quality. The fruit is so bruised and brown it looks as if a group of engineers used it to wipe off their hands. It is so soft my friend used his empty milk carton to cut through his pear. The worst part is that the school forces us to buy a piece of fruit with the regular lunch making contact with this disgust is nearly unavoidable.

By law, lunch staff must wear something to their hair from falling into the food. My school was required to give them a choice of either visors, or hair nets, and you can guess which ones they chose. As someone who eats the food, I can tell you that they don’t help whatsoever. At least one person finds a hair in the food each day. Last year I pulled a dark, foot long hair out of my mouth. It was absolutely revolting. I have no clue how I didn’t lose everything in my stomach when it happened.

Being that I have the last lunch period of the day, the food is always cold. They call it “C” lunch, but it should be called “Leftovers.” We always get the worst of the worst, and the food is always cold. The quality is also shockingly poor. Once, they ran out of churros, so they took leftover bread sticks and sprinkled cinnamon-sugar on top.

It’s no wonder why one in five kids don’t eat the school lunch, but for kids who are in the free lunch program, or don’t have time to pack a lunch each day, are stuck. I wish something could be done about this, but nothing can. All people care about is how healthy the food choices are, forcing schools to buy the “healthiest” food from the lowest bidder. All of this is making the food go down in quality, and unhealthy in a different way, one that can make kids sick.

Now let me ask you this; after reading all I had to say, would you eat my school’s lunch?


The author's comments:
This is what I have to say about the lunch at my school.