The Inedible School Lunch | Teen Ink

The Inedible School Lunch

By E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota
E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota

I know that every kid in public school complains about how bad their school’s lunch program is, but my school should have major health violations. The food itself is alright, but the way it is prepared is just awful. There are bugs on the fruit, hair in the main serving, and the food is always either room temperature or cold.

The reason why there are bugs on the fruit is because they don’t wash it. It goes from where it was picked, into a truck, to the school, and into our mouths. Who knows what it could have come into contact with? My friend recently found a dead beetle crushed around the stem of her apple. The rest of us could hardly eat after seeing it, and didn’t dare touch the fruit. Each piece looks disgusting as is. It is nowhere near supermarket quality. The fruit is so bruised and brown it looks as if a group of engineers used it to wipe off their hands. It is so soft my friend used his empty milk carton to cut through his pear. The worst part is that the school forces us to buy a piece of fruit with the regular lunch making contact with this disgust is nearly unavoidable.

By law, lunch staff must wear something to their hair from falling into the food. My school was required to give them a choice of either visors, or hair nets, and you can guess which ones they chose. As someone who eats the food, I can tell you that they don’t help whatsoever. At least one person finds a hair in the food each day. Last year I pulled a dark, foot long hair out of my mouth. It was absolutely revolting. I have no clue how I didn’t lose everything in my stomach when it happened.

Being that I have the last lunch period of the day, the food is always cold. They call it “C” lunch, but it should be called “Leftovers.” We always get the worst of the worst, and the food is always cold. The quality is also shockingly poor. Once, they ran out of churros, so they took leftover bread sticks and sprinkled cinnamon-sugar on top.

It’s no wonder why one in five kids don’t eat the school lunch, but for kids who are in the free lunch program, or don’t have time to pack a lunch each day, are stuck. I wish something could be done about this, but nothing can. All people care about is how healthy the food choices are, forcing schools to buy the “healthiest” food from the lowest bidder. All of this is making the food go down in quality, and unhealthy in a different way, one that can make kids sick.

Now let me ask you this; after reading all I had to say, would you eat my school’s lunch?

This is what I have to say about the lunch at my school.

The only difference between public school kids and prisoners is that prisoners still have rights.

MissExploration BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington

It Can Only Fly When It Needs To.

I can totally agree with you on this, though I have never found a bug in my food/fruit...The food at my school is not as bad as yours, but its still no good. They want students to be healthy and have a good lunch, but the way they make it like that has no impact. For the school I go to, the food literally comes from the same company who makes food for those who are in jail. Though it is slowly improving. Your story is really relatable to students who also experience this.

Our principle eats with us. He knows he food is somewhat bad, but he has no power over it. It is rigger the super intendant or the school board, I'm not sure which.

GreekGoddess BRONZE, Andover, Connecticut

"The unprepared rebel dies in the fire."
~unknown

Oh, wow. Okay yeah your right, you should say something to your principle. 

This is not based on my school, this is my school. I did not over exaggerate anything in the article. After my friend found that bug on her apple, I knew something had to be said about it.

~unknown

Wow... okay I had no idea that it was legal for schools to sell food that way gone. Well it was realy good writing, and I have to ask, is this based on your school?

YukiJuki said...
YukiJuki, Pasadena, California

"Be yourself, everybody else is already taken."

Whoa, and I thought my school food sucked. That is just sad!

It is my understanding that it is the same food in all public schools in Minnesota. The only difference is the way that it is prepared, and served. I think my school was even inspected at the beginning if the year. It got a D, so it technically passed.

musixgirl19 BRONZE, Fort Mitchell, Alabama

We are all men, In our own natures frail, and capable of our own flesh; few are angels.- Shakespeare, King Henry VIII

I wouldn't eat your school lunch if someone paid me a billion dollars. Your school should get quality food for the kids in your school.

alyssa said...
ihate my school

NessieC said...
No I would never ever ever eat at your school!