The Twenty-One Year Privilege | Teen Ink

The Twenty-One Year Privilege

February 12, 2009
By MichaelLiebeHart BRONZE, Norfolk, Virginia
MichaelLiebeHart BRONZE, Norfolk, Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I myself am not a huge fan of alcohol. I am very aware of its stupefying effects and its influence over many a teenager. However, what I am also aware of is how the authority figures in our lives'the parents'often treat alcohol as a mortal sin. Never mind the fact that they themselves were once in our position, they believe that we are not old enough to indulge in this deadly vice. They support this theory, and the hypocrisy of their own drinking, with one key piece of scientific evidence. I am talking of course about the special genetic material, obtained after twenty-one years of faithful service to the human race, which allows a person to drink until their heart's content.

This particular strand of DNA legitimizes every ounce of alcohol consumed by any person of twenty-one years or more. Teenagers do not contain this gene, and until their twenty-first birthday, on which the taboo of drinking will be lifted, many will drink themselves into a coma. Perhaps if this gene did not exist there would be less alcohol consumption; after all, many teenagers drink to rebel against society's restrictions. You can't argue with science though! There's just no way that teenagers would be able to handle the responsibilities of drinking and driving as well as adults do. Adults who possess this genetic material do not have to hide the fact that they have been drinking'a primary concern for many underage drinkers who take unnecessary risks in order to avoid capture. Teenagers also tend to overindulge in alcohol consumption in order to make up for the lack of this gene. The desire to model their older, gene-carrying counterparts leads many teenagers down a road of excess that might also bring death. Maybe if this gene was non-existent, the tension that causes so many careless and unfortunate alcohol-related accidents would be gone. Perhaps in this way the government may be able to help.

If the government were to fund some type of scientific program, one to erase the twenty-one year gene, then the problem might be solved. Teenagers might be able to drink freely and see for themselves the useless advantages it brings. They might be able to recognize that alcohol is not all its cracked up to be, and adults may find that their own drinking may be as illegitimate as it was with teen drinkers. I guess it is up to the government now to break down the barrier that this twenty-one year gene creates.

The author's comments:
I am mainly a fiction writer