Wilted, Yet Blossoming | Teen Ink

Wilted, Yet Blossoming

By LovelyMother2 GOLD, New Salem, Pennsylvania
LovelyMother2 GOLD, New Salem, Pennsylvania

In her cells it thrives, where it feeds off her spirit and threatens to leave her with nothing less than hopelessness. Behind her, it lingers like a shadow, a constant reminder of who she once was but is no longer. She stands before a mirror and sobs. It stands beside her mockingly. Bone and bare tissue have since replaced its prominent blonde strands and lovely curves. The person in the mirror is almost indistinguishable from a decomposing corpse. She pulls up the left side of her blouse to reveal what once resembled a breast; a gray scar now resides there instead. She examines it in disgust and again, questions God as to why she deserves this cruel punishment. She constantly begs him to end her suffering so that she'll no longer have to pain her family.

In her cells it thrives, where it attempts to feed off her spirit and threatens to leave her with nothing less than hopelessness. Behind her, it lingers like a shadow, a constant reminder of who she once was but is no longer. She stands before a mirror and grins. It stands beside her sternly. Though her skin remain bare and her figure lean, she admires the beauty that has since replaced her endeavor. The person in the mirror is almost indistinguishable from her delicate, former self. She pulls up the left side of her blouse to reveal what once resembled a breast; an intricate tattoo now resides there instead. She examines it in reverence and again, expresses her gratitude for God, questioning him as to if she deserves to prevail. She begs him to continue with his generosity so that she'll have the ability to watch her grandchildren flourish.

For my mother, whose recent discovery of breast cancer has left her in a state of fear. Though your physical image may be altered, cancer will never claim your strength. I love you..