Feedback on Skeletons & Apologies | Teen Ink

Feedback on Skeletons & Apologies

November 3, 2018
By YukiFeng GOLD, Staten Island, New York
YukiFeng GOLD, Staten Island, New York
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

At first glance, I mistook Demi Chowen’s chilling “Skeletons & Apologies” for a sappy love poem about an ex-lover. As I read through the piece, it turned into something much, much more. Chowen’s poem describes the experience of a sexual assault victim and it was heartbreaking to read. The symbolism played with truly added a depth to the meaning behind it. I knew the moment I saw the line, “Did your wrist hairs shatter when my neck became putty?”, that I wasn’t just reading a bunch of words about a broken heart. I was reading something that plagues girls and women everywhere. Men love to dismiss our words when we stand up and fight for our bodies, our choices, our lives. But we’ll never stop trying. This poem brings awareness to just that, to the pain of survivors.

“I am just ‘one more drink’ ” and “Hollowed out like the bowl you dry heave me into” will resonate within me forever. Chowen’s words weave around to create an intricate, emotional piece that should be read by everyone. As a young girl growing up in NYC that walks alone in the dark, I will always be wary of what may lurk in alleyways. “Skeletons and Apologies” showcases one narrative out of millions that have experienced sexual assault. Thank you, Teen Ink for publishing such a raw and real issue. And thank you, Demi Chowen, for sharing your story.