Should College be Free? | Teen Ink

Should College be Free?

By stilts62 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
stilts62 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

"Get back up more times than you get knocked down." - Unknown

The writing titled “College Should be Free,” written by Jeb, talks about the pros and cons of free college. His writing left me feeling very hopeful, but also confused at the same time. In the article “College Should be Free” the author makes many valid points for free college and many well written arguments against free college. While the author says, “Why can’t the government understand that providing free college education in an investment that would pay off economically in the future?” I do agree with this point, but does the author even think about the other side of the argument? If we make education free, that would mean more people in the work force, and that means less jobs for people who are just living life paycheck to paycheck. Yes, these people could go out and get an education, but in life today our society is filled with a bunch of citizens who don’t put in the work to get a better outcome. Our society believes that everything should just be given to them without putting in the work to get what they want. Also, in the article the author recognizes the other side of the argument when he says, “Someone has to pay for college, so where does the money come from?” This is a very valid argument against free college especially since a majority of education funding already comes from taxes. Does that mean that taxes will go up? There are so many variables to consider on this very controversial topic, but I am really hoping that college is free by the time I am ready to go to college.