The American Spirit as Shown Through the Perspective of a Thirteen-Year-Old Without a Knack for Tennis | Teen Ink

The American Spirit as Shown Through the Perspective of a Thirteen-Year-Old Without a Knack for Tennis

November 28, 2018
By aseeburger22 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
aseeburger22 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“The American Spirit as Shown Through the Perspective of a Thirteen-Year-Old Without a Knack for Tennis,” written by Katherine W., talks about how we can change criticism into comedy. Katherine’s writing left me inspired. I found this article inspiring because I think it is incredible that someone around a similar age can understand issues that are deemed “too grown up” for children and teenagers alike. I wholeheartedly agree with this article because it discusses the importance of taking the time to understand what others mean. Katherine talks about how often people take things out of context. She says, “People often scrutinize every action of celebrities. One sentence they say in a televised interview can be replayed and over-analyzed by millions.” This hit me deep. This made me understand why some celebrities take to social media to talk about their anxiety and insecurities. Before I read this article, I always thought they were taking their fame for granted, but those two sentences made me look at their plight in a different perspective. Another point she wrote about was our sense of humor. Katherine states, “Have a sense of humor. It’s what’s best about us.” Although I agree, I feel like there are more to us than our humor. Personally, I felt like she could’ve taken this opportunity to mention our compassion and consideration.