Feedback for Made In China | Teen Ink

Feedback for Made In China

February 7, 2019
By sabri-miche6 BRONZE, New York City, New York
sabri-miche6 BRONZE, New York City, New York
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

“Made In China” by Ellie M. is a raw, relatable piece. Mandel openly speaks out against her struggle as an adopted child. In the piece, Mandel states, “Despite having the eyes, nose, and mouth shared by the human race, the distinction between the other person and me only exists upon the realization that my face looks different than theirs. In most cases, this distinction occurs immediately upon our first meeting but intensifies once they meet my white adoptive parents.” I admired Mandel’s courage to speak up against such an underrated struggle: the struggle of an adopted child.

As the older sister of an adopted little brother, I recognize the struggles adopted children face. I know they feel abandoned by their birth parents and don’t feel like they fit in with other children. I know they face comments like: “But they aren’t your real parents, right?” and “That sucks---that your birth parents didn’t want you.” And it is heartbreaking how ignorant people are. I think Mandel portrayed that very well.