Critique of | Teen Ink

Critique of

By Fishpaw54 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Fishpaw54 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

I agree with the author’s analysis of eliminating the U.S. penny. In my opinion, there are more benefits to keeping the penny than benefits of eliminating the penny. First off, getting rid of the penny will create a rounding tax that will lose consumers money. The article states, “The rounding tax would, on a yearly basis, cost consumers more than $600 million dollars in total (Procon.org).” For example, shopping for groceries would cost a few extra dollars if purchasing a lot of groceries. Over time, that would add up to a large amount of money. Secondly, pennies make charities a large amount of money. The author claims, “Over 15 billion pennies were collected through donation by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in 2009. The pennies funded $150 million dollars of blood cancer research and treatment (Procon.org).” 150 million dollars is huge sum of money from pennies alone. Also, that was the amount of money donated to just one organization. Imagine how much in pennies was donated to every organization. I agree that pennies should stay in circulation.