Critique of | Teen Ink

Critique of

By Fishpaw54 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Fishpaw54 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

In this article, the author discusses the issue of school shootings in our society. She pleads for people in power to do something, but she doesn’t know what this something is. I agree with her that something needs to be done. I liked how she remained neutral upon what measures need to be taken, but at the same time, made it clear that something needed to be done. The closest she gets to offering a solution is saying, “As the number of mass shootings in American schools continue to rise, it is unclear whether any significant change will be made, but I hope my voice can make a difference.” This is a nice touch to the writing because a lot of people today try and shove ideas down their readers’ throats. Also, I liked that she added in quotes from someone in the school setting such as the teacher she mentioned. She wrote, “Contrary to the government’s desire, Deb Ciamacca, an AP government teacher at Conestoga High School in Berwyn, Pennsylvania says otherwise to President Trump. ‘It’s an insane idea. To anyone who’s ever taught before, it’s just ludicrous.’” This provides an inside look as to how people who work in schools view current proposals to gun control. Overall, this article flows well and has details to support the author’s opinion. My favorite part was her ability to explain her position without being forceful.