Gender Inequality in Sports | Teen Ink

Gender Inequality in Sports

By GrantAden BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
GrantAden BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

Sfy10, the author of “Gender Inequality in Sports,” starts off their argument by saying, “I found a lot of proven facts about why women and men deserve (sports) equality.” The author then goes on to state the vague and mostly incorrect “facts.” He/she says that women work “…just as hard or even harder.” While it is most likely true that they work just as hard as each other, there is most likely no proven facts that women work harder than men in sports. The author also says that SOME women’s events bring in more money and viewership than men’s sports. While I would love to say that these are incorrect because they bring in equal viewership, that would be incorrect. Men statistically bring in MUCH more profit and viewership, especially in sports like football, where women are not included, and also basketball. Women most likely dominate sports like volleyball, but to claim that it is a “proven fact” that women bring in more money in sports than men is absurd. Women should not be discouraged to play sports, but it should not be okay to say that they are not equal simply off of these statements. They are given equal opportunity in their leagues as men but they simply don’t bring in as much profit. I don’t think that should be seen as inequality, but more of an unfortunate reality.

Critique