"An Unexpected Outcome" Review | Teen Ink

"An Unexpected Outcome" Review

By kelfry BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
kelfry BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

“An Unexpected Outcome” by Teresa in the September 2011 edition was about a girl who grew up with a single mother who was addicted to drugs. She would steal to get money, even from her own mother. They lived with the girl’s grandma, but they were kicked out and became homeless. After years of having no support, Teresa decided to tell a teacher about her mother’s addiction. Her grandmother then got custody of her, and she is now living a happy life with people who truly love her.

The article was touching, and it brought forward a new perspective. The way she described it made me feel like I could relate to her emotions. I have never gone through a situation as difficult as hers, but it made me realize that family issues can happen to a lot of unexpected people. There could be students in my school who are having issues with a parent, and they are just too afraid to speak up. If I knew about their troubles I would think back to the article and encourage them to get help from a teacher or adult. One person can make a difference.