Appealing and Relatable | Teen Ink

Appealing and Relatable

By ShiviChauhan GOLD, Wayne, New Jersey
ShiviChauhan GOLD, Wayne, New Jersey

I recently read, "On Stage and Afraid" by "Molly" in this month's issue of Teen Ink. The article talked about a panic disorder that the narrator experienced, and how it negatively affected her ability to be a performer. The article describes the narrator's first performance as a cellist. She expresses how everyone was oblivious to the fact she was panicking, and how she bravely decided to perform to the best of her ability and not let her disorder hinder her in any way, shape, or form.I found the piece as eye-opening as well as memorable.
  When I began to read the passage, i was immediately hooked. The author was extremely descriptive, and her use of the five senses in her writing was amazing, and made the reader relate to the piece more. For example, she states, " Suddenly my senses are heightened and I can hear the stagehand's breathing and the sound of the performer keeping the beat with her foot. My hands are being stabbed all over with a myriad of little, invisible needles." Descriptions like these throughout the article made the piece more real, and full of life- I could hear the stagehand's heavy breathing, and the light tapping of the performer's foot, and as I read the piece, I could feel the miniscule needles poking at my palms, urging me to read on.
    Not only does the piece draw the reader in, but it also addresses a controversial issue of romantacizing mental illness. In the September issue of Teen Ink, the article, "Stop Romantacizing Mental Illness" expressed how the media today tends to romantacize mental illness as something that is cool, and that is a joke, and not something serious. However, this article is an eye-opener. It explains how a mental disability is not something glamourous and it comes with consequences, as the narrator couldn't do something she loves to do, due to her illness. Overall, this piece is definetly a must-read, and will appeal to teens all over the globe, as well as writers all over the globe.

sophiea1025 PLATINUM, New York City, New York

"Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." Dr. Seuss

Amazing, keep up the good work! (Sophia A.)