Feedback on "Don't Call Me Homeless" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Don't Call Me Homeless"

November 6, 2014
By Impurial SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Impurial SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     The poem “Don’t Call Me Homeless” by Brandon Lee Cruz is a beautifully written poem that stirred my emotions like no other I have read so far. This poem demonstrates how a home is not always a physical thing, though many people do not understand that. The poet describes a life where his home is “short a few roofs and walls” and “doesn’t have heat,” but consistently tells the reader that those factors don’t make him homeless. Rather, he explains that home is somewhere “you can read your favorite books study for a test you know you’ll fail, practice kissing your first love, sing your mouth vibrant.” The poet captures the tone of someone that accepts what he has, no matter how little he has.
     This poem truly captured my emotions, making me rethink my feelings about the home I have. It’s true, what the poet had said, that a home is where you read books and study, no matter the environment. I especially love the stanza where he says “Home holds you/ like a rib cage to a heart, and mine/ is just missing a few bones.” This statement struck out to me, as I realized that the poet appreciated his home even if it was missing a roof, walls, and other necessary home utilities.
     Never have I ever read a poem that made me rethink my decisions about taking my luxuries for granted. Thanks to the poem “Don’t Call Me Homeless,” I am now filled with the realization about people who don’t quite have what I do.