Imperfection is Perfection | Teen Ink

Imperfection is Perfection

By ShiviChauhan GOLD, Wayne, New Jersey
ShiviChauhan GOLD, Wayne, New Jersey

I recently read, "When I Hated My Body" by Victoria Loptka. The poem describes how the narrator began to hate herself and her body due to the standards set by the media and society. She describes how in a period of one year, she began to hate her body and hate herself. Everyone around her started to give her their opinons on her and her body, and how that further contributed to her pain. However, the narrator began to appreciate herself and her body after looking at paintings of women in the Renaissance period, as they were large and plump, unlike people today. The narrator reminds the reader that imperfection is perfection, and nobody can take your originality away from you.
        After reading this beautifully written piece, I was moved greatly by it. I, for one, am not extremely thin and skinny, and the media and our peers always will be the first to point that out to any girl. If I were to be completely honest, I didn't really love my body. I felt like I was fat, despite the fact that I wasn't. Most of my peers are extremely thin, and  always felt that I wasn't good enough for anybody, and I hated myself. I could relate to the narrator of the piece. While reading the first few lines, I thought to myself, "I have been there before!" Yes, I used to think I was disgusting, and every girl probably finds themself to be disgusting, even when they are not. This poem was a friendly reminder to me. A reminder to love myself, love my originality, and love who I am. I was left smiling after reading the words, "...it is what makes you beautiful,/your humanity and your reality,/in a completely imperfect way."

This poem definitely affected me in a positive way, but I believe it would have an even bigger impact on some other girls. Many girls today are constantly being taught that the are not good enough for anybody. Due to this constant reminder, some resort to cutting themselves, and other forms of self-harm. Some even decide to commit suicide because they feel like they are not good enough. However, after readng this poem, they will certainly feel better about themselves, it will boost their self esteem! We need more positive messages to send to our youth, that if they are themselves, that is the most perfect they could ever be. This one poem could change the life of one, if not many, and it could change your perspective on life.

sophiea1025 PLATINUM, New York City, New York

"Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." Dr. Seuss

Hey Shivi, great feedback! I agree that more poems like Victoria's should be published. Hope this gets published!