Feedback on "Love Yourself First" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Love Yourself First"

By rairai123ify SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
rairai123ify SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"Love Yourself First" is a touching piece written by Ash Rivera. It's about Ash's relationship with her boyfriend, Charlie. When she first met Charlie, she was a strong believer in self-expression, having green hair and two lip piercings. As their relationship progressed, Charlie began to criticize Ash. He commented on things such her hair and her piercings, how she dressed, and her music taste. Soon, she began to change herself just for him, but later realized that changing herself for a boy wasn't worth it, so she broke up with him. She learned to love herself first.
This inspiring article is a great example for anybody in Ash's situation. I experienced something similar, except the roles were reversed where I wanted to change for my friend, but she didn't do anything to force me. We have different tastes in almost everything, so I started changing by listening to the music she listens to. However, I realized she was friends with me because of who I am, not what music I listen to, so I went back to being me. After all, Ash did say, "... you will always be worthy just the way you are."