A Potter Obsession | Teen Ink

A Potter Obsession

By ShiviChauhan GOLD, Wayne, New Jersey
ShiviChauhan GOLD, Wayne, New Jersey

Harry Potter. It's a household name. The book is world- renowned, its fanbase large, the movie franchise a BOOMING success. "A Potter Obsession" by Brooke Solich accurately describes how Harry Potter took her world by storm- as well as mine. Brooke began reading the books after being practically forced to by her best friend. She was immediately hooked. She suffered through depression, but Harry Potter helped her through it, as she, "found solace in Jo's intuitive words."
   As I skimmed through the piece, I was appalled as to how Brooke's story resembles mine. Growing up in the age of Harry Potter, I was swept away by Jo Rowling's amazing work. I had every book, every movie, the books explaining the magic of the movies, I had Educational Decrees, the Marauders Map, a time- turner, heck, I even had Harry Potter stamps! I was most certainly obsessed with Harry Potter. Harry didn't only entertain me when I was sad, or lonely, he inspired me to become a writer, just like Brooke. Reading her piece was surreal, like someone was living my life, going through the same things I did. This article was a jarring reminder that there are always people around you who may be going through the same thing you are, we just may not know it.