Feedback on "The Other Sophia" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "The Other Sophia"

By LuluHRH GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
LuluHRH GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff." --The 10th Doctor (David Tennant), Doctor Who

I have read many pieces in Teen Ink, but “The Other Sophia” by Sophia Watwood is one of the very best. From the very first line, I was hooked by Sophie’s elegant wording and sophisticated vocabulary, as well as her multiple cultural references, which made her problem more relatable. Another amazing thing about the piece was Sophie’s almost off-putting honesty. She didn’t sugarcoat her thoughts or try to make them less confrontational. Every ounce of bitterness she felt was poured into her writing, creating a simply stunning story that gave every reader an insight into her deepest, darkest thoughts. And even after she revealed every less-than-kind thought she’d had towards the Sophia that wasn’t her, she still ended by being sweet and understanding.
I can never fully understand this the way others might be able to. My name was not “Most Common Name in the United States for Four Years in a Row,” and it most likely never will be. I don’t have someone sharing a collection of syllables with which I identify myself by. I have no one to compete with. I’m the only Hannalina I know, so there’s no Hannalina who is better than me that I know of. I can’t imagine sharing what distinguishes me from every other human with over 50,000 other humans. Every Sophia always has another human to be mixed up with during attendance. However, this just makes it even more important for them to make themselves stand out, and they do. Sophie Watwood is one of my best friends, and I can say that she is an intriguing, smart, creative young woman who has no reason to feel inferior to any other Sophia because she is just as amazing in her own way. I know many Sophias, but I can never mix them up or consider one better than the rest because they are different people. They aren’t defined by their names. They don’t need to compete- Sophie didn’t need to compete- because they have their own interests, disinterests, likes, and dislikes. Sophie just felt like she had to be another Sophia, but I know better. None of these Sophias need to be the best. They do their best when they are themselves.

I wrote this piece because Sophie Watwood is a wonderful friend to me. I don't want her to feel inferior to anyone or feel like she has to be "the best Sophia." She is perfect already and shouldn't have to change or do anything differently because she feels like she has to be the best. She is already the best in my eyes.