Feedback on The Rice-Making Artist | Teen Ink

Feedback on The Rice-Making Artist

By annieasdas GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
annieasdas GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

“The Rice-Making Artist” by Sarah Nam established a very warm feeling for me. It was about the importance of making rice for her family and showed how the meal was a part of her culture that she was proud to be a part of. Rice may seem easy to make but in her memoir, she shows how every step is vital in making a perfect dinner. Being a part of the Asian culture, rice plays such a big role in my life. I eat it almost every day and I don’t think I can get used to not having it as a daily meal. Many people might think that it’ll start to become boring but this story shows just the opposite. The making of rice has been passed down generations and generations and there’s no sign of it stopping. Each precise move during the making of rice just adds to the importance of it.

The memoir proved to me how rice could be such a big thing in someone’s life. Watching my mom make rice every day can be annoying but I know that it’ll soon become me in her place. She tells me how it’s easy and quick but I know that behind those words were days and days of practicing. I love how Sarah influenced the meaning of making rice in my heart. I don’t enjoy eating rice all the time but to become the person I am today, I would have to thank the magic of rice. For people that don’t know how to cherish rice would think that there’s no flavor to it, like me for example, but for people that do know how will tell you how fragrant and wonderful it is, like my mom. I don’t understand why she says that but I’m sure when I grow older, I’ll be saying the same thing. I’m excited to say the words my mother once said to me, but for now I think I’m happy being the child I am today.