Feedback on "Through James's Eyes" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Through James's Eyes"

By kxtherinechen GOLD, Staten Island, New York
kxtherinechen GOLD, Staten Island, New York

"Remember, if people talk behind your back, it only means you are two steps ahead."

“Through James’s Eyes” by Catherine Evans is a truly phenomenal piece. In her writing, Evans describes her 27 year-old brother who has Down syndrome, yet sees the world in a totally unique and special way. Evans writes on how her brother, who is in his twenties but acts like an elementary school student, has always brought out the best in the world. She explains how in her short 17 years, she has learned so much from him to see the best in everything. Evans also emphasizes on how her brother ignores and pushes past all the wrongs and faults of one and looks straight at the good of people. This piece truly ignited a spark in my heart that made me think more about how every day is worth it. Evans’ writing has really gotten to the soft part inside of me and shows the true goodness and the beautiful spirit in her brother, in which she had decided to share with the world.
What amazes me most about this piece is the fact that one who receives such remarks and comments from the judgemental world we live in today, can look past all of that and see the real sunshine. It fascinates me how one could have such an amazing personality and spirit who sees the true good in someone. I can admit that James is one special person. It is hard to come by one who sees good in everything these days, but James proves other wise. This piece touched me to know what an amazing person one could be even through the thick and thin. As said by Evans, “The years of babysitting James, who is 10 years older than me, taught me great patience. He has also given me a greater appreciation for all of the abilities, gifts, and opportunities in my life.” This quote really amazed me about James’ views on his life, and how he thought every day was worth living for it. It had such a positive effect on me when I first read it; it really made me want to look at my life differently rather than how I view it today. This piece is truly magical, and I hope it inspired others to enjoy their lives like it inspired me to.