"Life as I Know It" | Teen Ink

"Life as I Know It"

By skylilly SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
skylilly SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

The piece that I am reviewing is "Life as I a Know It" by "Karen". The article was about a girl that expresses what it is like to be the child of a divorced parents. She vividly describes the separation between her parents, having to take responsibilities to stop her parents' fights, and missing her family being together. "Karen" discusses how her parents' divorce made her feel like she was missing a piece of herself, a piece that could never be replaced, and how she deals with never being able to have that piece again. This author really takes you into the mind of an eight year old child of a divorcee couple.
As a child of a couple that is no longer together, I can relate to this. The author of this article accurately describes the moving back and forth between house and the arguments. "Karen" also describes having to grow up early: taking responsibility, remembering whose house your going to everyday, packing and unpacking at each house, etc. As stated in "Life as I Know It," "Divorce is missing at my dad's house when I'm at my mom's and missing my mom's house when I'm at my dad's...Divorce is packing...Divorce is being the middleman." This article is timeless because any child is that is the product of a divorced couple.