Feedback On "But You Don't Look Sick... " | Teen Ink

Feedback On "But You Don't Look Sick... "

By kxtherinechen GOLD, Staten Island, New York
kxtherinechen GOLD, Staten Island, New York

"Remember, if people talk behind your back, it only means you are two steps ahead."

Being diagnosed by a certain number of diseases is never easy; especially in a society where you are constantly surrounded by people who aren’t. In “But You Don’t Look Sick” by Cassidy DeMona, Cassidy tells the story of how being diagnosed with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) changed her life. POTS controlled almost all of the functions in her body, including her heart, which gave her migraines and dizziness and many other difficulties. She was forced to drop out of dance as her health worsened and visited the hospital more and more often, especially when she found she was diagnosed with various diseases. She elaborates that she is constantly questioned about her health and says, “I don’t want to be known as the sick girl.” She opens up to how these diseases have made her a stronger and better person. “But You Don’t Look Sick” is a truly inspiring piece that tells the story of Cassidy’s internal struggle and how she overcame it.
While reading “But You Don’t Look Sick,” I was more aware to the struggles that regular people like me face; it really opened up to me that this could happen to anyone. Reading Cassidy’s story made me open my eyes to the world and realize that I should be grateful for having a healthy life, whereas others aren’t so lucky. According to Cassidy, “My condition isn’t what I am; it’s just what I have and I’m stronger than it.” This quote really hit me at the end. I just sat back and thought to myself, ‘Wow, this girl is such a strong person.’ I was so amazed by the strength and determination in this piece, and in Cassidy, making it a truly remarkable piece to experience.