The Flaw In My Facebook | Teen Ink

The Flaw In My Facebook

By 16pajko.v SILVER, Rockaway Park, New York
16pajko.v SILVER, Rockaway Park, New York

To be blunt, Kaira Huemer's memoir, entitled "The Flaw In My Facebook", demonstrates honestly the stresses of today's young scholarly generation and how they are relieved. In the article, she relives a period of time where she was lethally infatuated with social media-as most of us are. Struggling through procrastination, an empty notebook lays open near the warm glow being emitted from her laptop's screen, two eyes boring into it at promptly 11:45 pm. Huemer explores what leads us to continue clicking when we have things that we know in the back of our minds rank as greater in priority, like sleep or in this case-schoolwork. It isn't a matter of being idle or not... it's a need for a sense of security from the harsh demands from both society and school. In an intriguing voice that rings true, Huemer proceeds to initiate the rationale of staying up throughout the night to be credited to the insecurities and stress we hold within ourselves due to the circumstances made by an intensely competitive educational environment and a requirement for refuge from the lash of it's whip.

I can relate to the overwhelming temptation for an escape, a feeling close to that of a wild animal clawing at a cage to attempt to gain it's freedom. Once they are freed, they will linger outside with a crazed expression, wanting more than they already have. As Huemer states in her article, "Being insightful means scaring myself constantly with all the fears my brain churns up as it searches for the deeper meaning of the scenes around me. Being smart means treating life like a creative writing draft that needs to be elaborated, revised, evaluated, and picked apart until it is perfect; however, once connected to Facebook, my brain finally forgets about elaborated thought shots and meaningful "so what's?" and instead completely accepts boring, generic narration". By evading responsibilities that have burdened us for the whole day, and weeks and months prior to that day, we can, if only for a few hours, take refuge in a safe place where our mind need not be clouded by the constant reminders of various deadlines we need to meet to meet. If anything, it is  a means of relief from the hardest thing that a human-let alone a student- could do: think.