Feedback on Magnificent Yellow | Teen Ink

Feedback on Magnificent Yellow

December 9, 2015
By kxtherinechen GOLD, Staten Island, New York
kxtherinechen GOLD, Staten Island, New York
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Remember, if people talk behind your back, it only means you are two steps ahead."


If you have a sibling, I’m sure at least once in your life you thought about trading your brother/sister for someone or something else. I know for sure that I have; that is, up until reading “Magnificent Yellow” by Melinda Liu. When I first read this piece, I was nearly in tears as I read on about Tony, Melinda’s little brother. Melinda tells the story of her only sibling, Tony, from the day her family found out he was diagnosed with Stage IV brain cancer, to the night where he passed. As I read about their last seven months they spent together before Tony’s passing, I couldn’t help thinking to myself how brave Melinda was, as she watched her brother struggle for his last few months living, and how strong she was to spend each day, knowing it was one day closer to his passing. “Magnificent Yellow” is truly one of the most inspiring and emotional stories I’ve ever read on Teen Ink.

Melinda’s story taught me to be grateful for my sibling. I’ve learned from this piece, that as much as I want to strangle my little brother sometimes, I should still be grateful for him. There are many, many kids in the world who aren’t as lucky as I am to have a sibling, especially one who wants to play and joke around with me all the time. Reading “Magnificent Yellow” taught me to be thankful for and appreciate my little brother, for I am fortunate enough to have one, unlike many kids my age around the world. As Melinda said, “Tony and I endured everything together - whether it was the brutality of the butterfly stroke at swim practice, art lessons, or low test scores.” Although my brother and I do have our similarities, I can’t help but feel guilty for not being the best sister I can be; and thanks to “Magnificent Yellow,” I plan on being a more appreciative and caring sister for the benefit of my brother and I.