"Kiss the Girl" | Teen Ink

"Kiss the Girl"

February 3, 2016
By 16pajko.v SILVER, Rockaway Park, New York
16pajko.v SILVER, Rockaway Park, New York
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

"Kiss the Girl" by "Madeline" is an insightful and quite memorable piece on flawed intimate relationships. Along with recalling a previous bad relationship, she shares invaluable advice concerning love and brings to mind that reality will always overwhelm expectation. In the article, she tells of her first kiss, which was shared with her boyfriend of four months, "Jimmy". However, it was nothing near to what she expected and certainly not with who she'd have wanted it to be. Although "Madeline" didn't desire a particularly overly dramatic romantic or committed relationship, "Jimmy" showed little emotional involvement and rarely contributed to their relationship. As "Madeline" writes, "However, I still had hopes for our "situation" that went beyond the snapchats, babysitting his little brother, and the uncomfortable side hugs I received at our greetings and farewells. Little surprise gifts of affection? Nope. Good morning texts? Not one. The most romantic thing he ever did was open the car door on prom night. So, I had my doubts." After giving him a week to redeem himself, "Madeline" decides to break up with him, which results in a two hour argument and, eventually, "Jimmy" kissing her to prove that he could be spontaneous and change for the better in their relationship. 


     The clarity and sense of reality "Madeline" brought to the article really helped bring my mind to terms with the fact that the real world would always trump fantasy, and that relationships and love are a tricky thing-not something to be idly toyed with. Although "Madeline" didn't receive her desired first kiss, she did gain something more significant-advice that could be applied to any future relationship of hers-or anyone's, for that matter. In the article it says, "...I had gained possibly the best advice ever: love is special, and you shouldn't waste it on the wrong person. While I can never get that first kiss or those four months back, I can make sure the rest of my experiences with love are truly special." The message that is conveyed is important and furthermore, truly struck a cord in me. Surely I can say that by those words, I forever will live.