Feedback on "The Mini Cupcake Crisis" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "The Mini Cupcake Crisis"

By Jennifer.L SILVER, Brooklyn , New York
Jennifer.L SILVER, Brooklyn , New York

“The Mini Cupcake Crisis” by Alexandra is an unique piece that provides insight on the control eating disorders have on the lives of the sufferers. In the health article, the author writes about her struggle to eat and confront the voices inside her head. While in the hospital, she was given snack challenges to slowly win the war between herself and her eating disorder. It demonstrates the hardships she went through and the steps she took to recovery. She touches on a subject most people are unwilling to speak up up for victims of eating disorders.
As a reader, I felt the emotional connection intertwined with the words on the page. It was obvious that there was a tremendous amount of strength necessary to overcome the clutches of your eating disorder. The author explains “People often trivialize anorexia. There are so many misconceptions. We’re the skinny girls who ‘chose’ not to eat. They tell us to ‘just eat, you need the food’ but unfortunately, it’s not that simple. I wish I could just eat.” These five sentences gives the reader a sense of longing to get better, but only to be stopped by your own thoughts. Alexandra paves a path of enlightenment for both sufferers and bystanders alike. She shares her story in hopes that someday it would makes a difference in someone’s life.