My Response to "My Label" | Teen Ink

My Response to "My Label"

March 13, 2018
By Anonymous

I can personally relate to "Ray" in so many ways. Immigration is such a delicate subject in today's society. I myself was brought by a "coyote" the same way his dad was. In this case a coyote isn't "referring to the animal, but a person whos job [is to] bring illegal immigrants into the country", they don't come for fun, they come to provide a better future for their families, something that in their home country can't get.

 

I was barely three years old when I crossed the border in a not such legal way. I still remember every moment and every second of that experience. It completely changed my life for the better. It was a challenge not knowing the language of this country. When I arrived to the U.S. I did not know one single word in English. I'm not going to lie, it was a tough a frustrating time trying to learn both English and Spanish at the same time. I would constantly get bullied at school just because I couldn't speak English right or because of the color of my skin. Kids would tell me "Go back to Mexico" or make jokes about my nationality. People who are considered "American citizens" are honestly so lucky. They have so many more opportunities. That is what America is known for, it is a country full of jobs and opportunities.

 

I was like Rays brother because " he was struggling to pay his college classes", and soon I would have been going through the same thing as him, but luckily our past president, Obama introduced the Dream Act. I am currently under DACA. This was another life changing moment for me. I would no longer be hiding in the shadows. I would now be able to pursuit my dream of becoming a paramedic and helping save lives, that was until this amazing program that helped 800,000 lives would soon be demolished by our current president Donald Trump. When Trump won the elections my family was really considering to go back to Mexico and give up their dreams of giving my sibling and I a better future. Once again, kids at my school would "joke" around saying "Trump is going to send you back to Mexico" or "he's building a wall so the rest of your family can't come". DACA is the Deferred Action of Childhood Arrivals program. It benefits people who were brought into the U.S. before the age of 16, not knowing what was right or wrong and just obeying their parents. DACA allows you to get a working permit and protection from deportation but you have to renew it every two years and it is quite expensive. It also allows you to get a state ID and a driver's license. I was overwhelmed with joy and tears in my eyes when I got the letter saying that I had been approved for DACA. It was the happiest day of my life. I'll never forget the joy I felt in my heart knowing that I could finally help out my parents financially. We need to keep fighting for programs like these. I am not ashamed of who I am, I am proud and also privileged to be part of this life changing program. We are all immigrants in a way and that's what makes America great.


The author's comments:

I want to be a voice for the Hispanic community. My voice will be heard along with the other 11 million other immigrants.