Americas Future | Teen Ink

Americas Future

By MissMarie PLATINUM, Fruitland Park, Florida
MissMarie PLATINUM, Fruitland Park, Florida

"Love is just a word, until you find someone to give it definition"...

To anyone who reads this maybe you can help. I've noticed that the youth today have taken the wrong path. I live in Florida, the south. I've been here for 2 years and have seen nothing but violence, race wars, drugs, and hate. I moved here to start my life fresh, and make better choices. As a teen myself I know that peer pressure is getting out of control. We dont use our heads, and do things for our own selfish needs. If this is how we want to live, if yes, then it looks like the future of America is, well, in trouble. I walked the halls of Leesburg Highschool on the day Obama got elected. When I stepped in to the courtyard, I saw the Blacks on one side of the yard holding obama posters, swearing, and dancing. On the other side I saw the whites burning obama shirts and posters, swearing, and yelling white power. A group of Hispanics, sat on the balcony looking over the courtyard, ready to see a war. I being Hispanic myself, sat with them, and realized, this will never end. We chose to listen to what our parents tell us, and what our ancestors did, and follow. Just because it is, "how our family works". Well you know what, we are acting like fools!! We need to get over the color of our skin, our own appearences, and see that we are the same. We have the same problems, we walk the same streets, we use the same water fountains!! We need to step up as the future of America, and say "thats enough". We need to be stronger than our parents, or grandparents, and ancestors. We need to look eachother in the eye, and say its done. Can we do that? Can we make the world a better place? Because honestly, I dont think we can. I have no faith in that whatsoever, because we are selfish!! We have come accustomed to doing what we want when we want! We have learned to control our parents( well some of us...not me...no chance of that happening haha) and those around us! It needs to stop. Bottom line is "GROW UP"!!

Heidi Schneider SILVER, Mattapoisett, Massachusetts
Now, I am a Republican, but I do not judge. (So please don't judge me!) And I agree entirely with your article--I am ashamed of our generation's obvious lack of morals. Thank you for writing this.

nolongerinuse SILVER, San Antonio, Texas

“Love has no desire but to fulfill itself. To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving.” - Kahlil Gibran

Totally! I have always wanted the chance to say: GROW UP, YOU FLIPPIN' IDIOTS! I'm 13, and I see 14 and 15 year olds doing stupid things all the time, saying stupid things. There waas one boy at school last year. He was the ultimate republican, more than Bush. He completely freaked when I told him I was neither republican nor democrat. He disrespected me for it.

In reality he could be a very fun person to talk to. He was great at math, and helped me out a few times. But he was too caught up in politics. He saw the world in black and white( he actually told me) and no one could start a onversation with him without him turning it to politics. I wish people could look at the rest of the picture. Not everything has to be a miserable debate.