Americas Future | Teen Ink

Americas Future

September 17, 2009
By MissMarie PLATINUM, Fruitland Park, Florida
MissMarie PLATINUM, Fruitland Park, Florida
22 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Love is just a word, until you find someone to give it definition"...


To anyone who reads this maybe you can help. I've noticed that the youth today have taken the wrong path. I live in Florida, the south. I've been here for 2 years and have seen nothing but violence, race wars, drugs, and hate. I moved here to start my life fresh, and make better choices. As a teen myself I know that peer pressure is getting out of control. We dont use our heads, and do things for our own selfish needs. If this is how we want to live, if yes, then it looks like the future of America is, well, in trouble. I walked the halls of Leesburg Highschool on the day Obama got elected. When I stepped in to the courtyard, I saw the Blacks on one side of the yard holding obama posters, swearing, and dancing. On the other side I saw the whites burning obama shirts and posters, swearing, and yelling white power. A group of Hispanics, sat on the balcony looking over the courtyard, ready to see a war. I being Hispanic myself, sat with them, and realized, this will never end. We chose to listen to what our parents tell us, and what our ancestors did, and follow. Just because it is, "how our family works". Well you know what, we are acting like fools!! We need to get over the color of our skin, our own appearences, and see that we are the same. We have the same problems, we walk the same streets, we use the same water fountains!! We need to step up as the future of America, and say "thats enough". We need to be stronger than our parents, or grandparents, and ancestors. We need to look eachother in the eye, and say its done. Can we do that? Can we make the world a better place? Because honestly, I dont think we can. I have no faith in that whatsoever, because we are selfish!! We have come accustomed to doing what we want when we want! We have learned to control our parents( well some of us...not me...no chance of that happening haha) and those around us! It needs to stop. Bottom line is "GROW UP"!!