Curly | Teen Ink

Curly MAG

For better or worse, my curly hair screams of my mixed Spanish-Irish heritage. It’s dry and brittle in the winter, but ’fros into a lion’s mane come summer. Even though I love my hair, my Shirley Temple tresses receive mixed reviews from my peers. Living in a posh Washington, D.C. suburb teeming with Abercrombie-clad teeny-boppers, most of my classmates brandish sleek, bleached hair. But I’m all natural, baby.

The less vicious gals eye my hair with an expression of slight disgust but don’t openly criticize my Robert Plant look. The bolder, however, stop me in the hallway and exclaim, “Ugh! Your hair is so frizzy!”

Years of self-training have taught me that no reaction is the best approach. When I hear, “Have you ever straightened your hair?” the question is almost apologetic, as if the gal’s trying to compensate for her rudeness.

“No,” I say and pause. “I like my curly hair.” I’ve decided that there’s no need to counter ignorance with ignorance, and usually refrain from being rude. After all, I don’t have to defend my curls if I’m proud of them. I like them and that’s all that matters.

WinstonSmith BRONZE, Columbia, Missouri
You are a neat person and a good writer.

introducingshelby GOLD, San Diego, California

"People change so you can learn to let go, things go wrong so you can appreciate them when they go right, and things fall apart so better things can fall together."
-Marilyn Monroe

I want to thank you, and anyone else who's written about loving their curls. This is a great piece :D

lexicaroline said...
lexicaroline, Banner Elk, North Carolina
WOW!  You sound just like me! I moved out to the south, a few years ago, after living in dry Nevada. Before my hair was sitting nicely on my shoulders, and when I moved out here, it sqrunched up on my head and it was so tiny! Now, after I've grown it out for four years, its just about long enough! People always ask me if I've straightened it, and you're right!... I like my hair curly. Nobody else wears it the same way. Everyone straigtens their hair, but tell me they want curly hair like mine. What really gets me is the people teasing me about it. They used to call me afro girl! It was horrible! Thanks! At least I can know that I'm not the only one with unruly curly hair.

I have really curly hair too and I love it!!! I've the curliest hair in my year and it makes me who I am ;)

Hey I have curly hair too, dark brown, and I love it! True, most of my friends have straight hair, but I absolutely love my hair. It's so me, and people recognize me because of it!

Green4ever said...
I've always wanted curly hair. I think it's crazy and wild and definitely something to be proud of! I'm very glad you wrote this "essay" because I'm also a firm believer against manipulating your hair into something it's not. =D