The Wrong Color | Teen Ink

The Wrong Color MAG

The same sign hung on the door and she squinted her big brown eyes a little,letting the smaller, bright pink print come into focus. "Help Wanted,"it read, "Part or full-time!" It was her third time this month walkinginto this store to ask the same question. Even though the first time was the mostnerve-wracking, her white skin still shivered, and she felt butterflies ofnervousness dance around in her stomach.

She looked around, trying to findthe African-American manger she'd talked to the week before. She spotted her,talking to her co-workers, who were all African-American. Her legs started intheir direction and she felt a little unsettled, noticing how they stared at heras if she didn't belong. Did she?

"Hi," she said. "Iapplied for a job here last month and I never got a call back ..." Onelooked at another, which triggered her to look at the manager, who crossed herarms and stared at the girl for a moment.

"We're still lookin'through 'em, alright?" she told her.

"B-but," shestarted to respond, but the woman quickly walked away, making her way through theracks of t-shirts to fold a pair of jeans. She fixed her dark chocolate eyes onher feet, and collected some courage.

She looked up with a smile, callingout, "Maybe I'll try again next week?"

"Yeah, sure,"she said. And with that, the girl walked out of the store.

Anonymous16 BRONZE, Calabasas, California

Life is the struggle between our desire for union and our desire for seperation

:] this one made me smile