Dear Society | Teen Ink

Dear Society

By falling_star DIAMOND, Stafford, Virginia
falling_star DIAMOND, Stafford, Virginia

"This sh-t writes itself." --William Shakespere

Hey society, it seems like you've been hanging out with me a lot lately.
Well, here's something about that: I don't like you. Not at all. I don't like the way you broadcast 90 pound girls as if that is the right way to be. The way you show off teen moms as if having children out of wedlock is a good thing. How you give the music industry to sex appeal instead of actual talent. As they say, video killed the radio.
Society, you've given me nothing good.
One year of anorexia.
Four years of self-mutilation, still happening despite how hard I try to stop.
More than ten suicide attempts in the four years I've self-harmed.
And a lifetime of low-self confidence.
I don't need your acceptance, society. I am who I am and I don't need you or anyone else to tell me how I should be and who I should love.
Love,
Rachael

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

I've self harmed too and I agree that our society needs to be turned off. 

Enigmaticguitar BRONZE, Lansing, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Amazing little article! It's true that the society and media had great harm for us! Nowadays what the society promotes is all about sexuality, gossip, hatred and scandals, guiding teenagers toward the opposite direction of truth- love, peace, joy, kindness, purity, self-control......

I've been looking for ways to stay uncontrolled and uninfluenced by the society all the time since I'm a teenager, since its harms are way greater than its benefits. But since we're in the society, we're in the world, and it is impossible for us to literally 'get out' of it, we would have to first be aware of the right and wrong and view things critically and judge with your own opinion, instead of following what most people/ peers think. Don't be afraid to be yourself, like what you really like and stay away from bad influences, even if it cost you things like friendship, acceptance and popularity.

Here's a quote from Emerson's Self-Reliance, hope it helps you:" It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude after own own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."

Love, 

Flora <3