My Liberated Body | Teen Ink

My Liberated Body MAG

By Sarahhhhhhh BRONZE, Malden, Massachusetts
Sarahhhhhhh BRONZE, Malden, Massachusetts

"The silence depressed me. It wasn't the silence of silence. It was my own silence."
- Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar

My body will be liberated when I can walk home without checking over my shoulder, holding my keys in my hand, making sure 911 is on speed dial, and keeping my head down. My body will be unchained when I can walk to the corner store in broad daylight without men whistling, asking if I need a ride, why my boyfriend isn't driving me, or how I'm doing.

My body will be free when I can turn on the radio without hearing the musical degradation of my gender, without hearing to the words “sl*t” and “wh**e” sung and rapped to catchy tunes.

When models of all shapes, colors, and sizes strut down the runway, my body will be liberated. When I no longer feel pressure to emulate Photoshopped, starved, primped, skeletal bodies that don't even exist except on the magazine pages, my body will be liberated. When American Apparel makes size extra large and not just extra small, my body will be liberated.

My body will be liberated when I can show it off without “asking for it,” and when I get the same respect in a miniskirt as I do in jeans.

It will be liberated when I can be with whomever I please, whenever I please, any way I please, without it making me lesser. When I can say no, even if I said yes before. Even if I said yes to his friend. Even if I have a reputation. Even if he took me to a nice restaurant first. Even if he's my boyfriend.

My body will be liberated when politicians stop telling me what I can and cannot do with it. My body will be liberated when I can take for granted my right to choose when, if ever, I have a child. And my body will be liberated when my child doesn't have to unlearn what a patriarchal society has taught her about her body.

My body is unique. My body is mine. It's not my identity; it does not define me; it does not decide my worth. It's just my body. But it needs to be liberated from violence, objectification, judgment, and unjust control.

Response for my first-year seminar on feminism at Smith College. The prompt was "what does the liberated body mean to me?"

ILiveToRead PLATINUM, Wailuku, Hawaii
So inspiring, so well written. I admire this piece. Only thing is do remember that if you are to naturally have a child or children they may not be female. As you seem to think when you say "when my child doesn't have to unlearn what a patriarchal society has taught her." Key word being: 'Her'

slb126 BRONZE said...
slb126 BRONZE, Halifax, Other

"That's who you really like. The people you can think out loud in front of."
-John Green

Not only is this moving and powerful, it says a lot of things that this world could stand to hear. Great job!

Michaela95 GOLD, Cape Town, Other

The way you do anything, is the way you do everything

I think that that is a very well written piece. It is striking without being aggressive and I really enjoyed the honesty. Thank you for speaking this way for the millions of women who feel the same

Ssenogard GOLD said...
Ssenogard GOLD, Corvallis, Oregon

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." ~Eden Phillpotts

It's true...just because we are women and girls doesn't mean men have to treat us like we're candy.

juneday GOLD said...
juneday GOLD, Barrington, Rhode Island
Great article! You treat the topic in a very memorable way through your use of repetition.

zen123 SILVER said...
zen123 SILVER, Alpine, New Jersey

Positive anything is better than negative nothing.

Such a beautiful article. I couldn't agree more with everything you wrote! Great job!

MeineFraeulein SILVER, Dubai, Other

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -- Gandalf

You make some really good points here! Wonderful job!

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

"I have a life. I just choose to ignore it."
-one of my friends

Love it :)

crazyzm BRONZE said...
crazyzm BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina

"I hated every moment of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'"
-Muhammad Ali

I have no words...truly amazing! I'm glad it was put in the magazine...wow.

Zoya_Khan GOLD said...
Zoya_Khan GOLD, Gujranwala, Other

Where LOGIC ends, FAITH begins.
- Zoya Khan

This is totally amazing...

PyroHearts GOLD, San Jose, California
Very strong article. Loved it. Thank you for writing.

KateeRose said...
This is amazing. Thank you!

Reydar SILVER said...
Reydar SILVER, Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

"Every storm runs out of rain"

This is such a perfectly written description of it...thank you for writing it, it's beautiful!

dianepoon PLATINUM, Hong Kong, Other
As a female that's concerned about gender equality issues, I love this piece to bits.

CallMeAria PLATINUM, Vancouver, Other

EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON :)

Powerful and true :D well done!

midnightsilence PLATINUM, Hilltowns, Massachusetts

There are consequences for your actions

This is a lovely piece. It certainly encapsulates the mood of Smith College. Great work!

TanviKusum DIAMOND, Gurgaon, Other

All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers.
Orison Swett Marden

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." - Anais Nin

we speak in hushed voices so as to not wake our memories

It's true. I loved how you stated everything  :)

Lanimal SILVER said...
Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado

"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary

This is incredible! Love the repitition of "my body," and how relatable this entire article is! Definitely a favorite. :)

A.A.K. GOLD said...
A.A.K. GOLD, Keaau, Hawaii

“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
--Terry Pratchett

Very interesting style! You manage to address a wide range of topics in an artful and in-depth way. Well done, I look forward to reading more of your work!

Hilton BRONZE said...
Hilton BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”
Lao Tzu

“Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
Anonymous

“Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and som “An obstacle is often a stepping stone.”

Wow this is the most amazing thing I ever read. You well define the prompt.