Dearly Beloved | Teen Ink

Dearly Beloved

You walk with your head hung low, afraid to speak up for yourself. No one will talk to you, and you see them avert their eyes from your hunched figure. Some people spit at you as you pass by. Imagine yourself in this world. All this pain because of who you hold dear. You may think that this is a fantasy world, but it is real for at least 10% of our population. It is the world around us.

All over the world, homosexuality is frowned upon. In certain countries, people are put in prison for up to ten years if they are found guilty of homosexuality. Growing up with a very anti-gay father, I have seen the emotions that are stirred up when gays are mentioned; from anger to outrage, and even plain hatred. But all hidden under a calm, composed face. As if homosexuality is just an annoyance, one that doesn’t even deserve a full reaction. As if gays are below them. In states such as Texas, Mississippi, and Kansas, homosexuals aren’t even allowed to legally get married.

But why? Why are gays so hated and mistrusted? Much of the prejudice against gays comes from the Bible. The Holy Book states that marriage is a bond between a man and a woman. This is often seen as a sort of unwritten law, one that only allows a man and a woman to get married under the hand of God. This has spurred many hate acts against homosexuals, from simple protests to beatings. A recent study by David McKirnan revealed that at least 20% of all homosexual men have suffered a physical attack in their lifetime. Some have been fatal.

On March 12, 2008, a gay teenager trying to take refuge in Europe after his partner in Iraq was arrested and hanged under charges of homosexuality was denied asylum. The court ruled against him when they discovered that he was gay. His cries for help went unheard, and he was sent back to Britain to be deported. He was denied help, denied a home.

Being gay isn’t different from being straight. One of my best friends is a bisexual. I found this out last summer, at my camp. It was a shocking moment for me. He simply shrugged when it was mentioned and said, “Yeah, I’m bi. So what?” There was a glint in his eyes that challenged me to respond, that challenged me to take issue with this fact. But I held my peace. Whenever I saw him again for the next few days, all I could think of was the fact that he was bi. Looking back, I can’t imagine why. It felt awkward being around him, and I had to mentally scold myself several times before I began to regain a sense of normality. I had to push myself to recognize him as the same person. He wasn’t any different at all, and yet his simple statement had completely changed my view of him.

If the Constitution states that all men are equal, why do we insist on making them so different? Do we have a right to take their lives for the sake of prejudice?

sup01 said...
great job i totaly agree and i've been in ur friends place before. i'm sure it meant alot to him being able to tell u.i for one am a bi and i have to wait until colledge because my parnets are to judgemental and close-minded if only people beleived wat they said and our fore-fathers wrote