Do I Get to Choose my Name? If not Why? | Teen Ink

Do I Get to Choose my Name? If not Why?

By Carizma BRONZE, Jeffersoville, Indiana
Carizma BRONZE, Jeffersoville, Indiana

Pain demands to be felt- John Green ( The Fault in Our Stars)

John, that is you name and I command it, you may not change it, spell it differently, or pronounce it in such way that is different. A good percentage of parents come up with ridiculous or unreasonable names, or names that are based off of the items of the world, but ones who do not deserve the right of picking their childs name, therefore restricting a person's right is restricting their freedom.

I agree that parents who bestow an inappropriate or unreasonable name for their child shall not be given the right to name their child, but others just want their child’s name to be connected to the family in some sort of way (besides birth). For instance, a lot of foreign citizens name their children by the surname giving the impression that they want to stay connected to their past. An example of this very situation is found in Readers Digest with the article of “Bizarre Baby Names: A Growing Trend?: You named your kid what? Welcome to the latest extreme sport.” In this piece it offers an example of various surnames that people use such as Morgan, and Whitney. Parents who bestow surnames as their child's first name suggest that they really want to be connected with their legacy.

There are also guardians who name their kids based off of their favorite hobbies or a really popular subject in America their favorite T.V shows. There are numerous examples of this in Readers Digest with the article of “Bizarre Baby Names: A Growing Trend?: You named your kid what? Welcome to the latest extreme sport.” A married foreign couple Lum and Chin Nyguen, named their child Duke, they chose this name because when being rescued from floating off on the coast of Vietnam they were close to Duke university, also the television show The Duke of Hazard. This shows that a lof of people name their childrens from the things they love. They do this because they love their child and they feel like their love for this certain item, will show the love through the child.

Another subject that parents name their childrens names from is brands. Most girl and some boys names today are named Lexus and Armani. If not noticed these names are brand names. For example Lexus is a car name while armani comes from clothing or hand bags. Majority of wellspring who name their offspring this are ones who believe it is cool or have a well amount of money. Taking this action of naming their child this is a way of wanting others with money to notice this specific name they’ve chosen.

Not all guardians name their parents unreasonable name therefore you should not ban a whole country from having the right to name their child. Not only is this unfair to the parents who love their children and care about their name, but also to the kids. Each and every person deserves to be and feel unique. If every other child is walking around with the same name then most likely they do not feel unique or indifferent to their peers. So yes, there are idiots out there who do not have responsibility, but the ones that do should, not have to pay for others stupidity. As for the children it is sad that they have to walk around with that name, but as they get older if needed they can change their naming.

Recently in my English Language Arts class we were challenged to create an argumentive piece on the Naming Laws. Where in some countries today some parents are not allowed to name their kids. I felt very strongly about this subject, so I put a lot of efort and emotion into this piece. I hope you enjoy it and agree.