(Un)Confident and (In)Capable | Teen Ink

(Un)Confident and (In)Capable

Dear Readers,

Congratulations on having stumbled on an article from Confident and Capable: Yes, Woman, your weekly dosage of feminine insight at your fingertips.  Don’t worry- you won’t have to lift a finger while reading this- perfect to read while doing the dishes or cooking dinner. With women making strides everyday for gender equality, a movement has risen against it, one that also makes strides everyday. It’s time we take a step back, sit in the chair men have pulled out for us and identify the true problem.

If a man and a woman were offered the same work position, the woman would not be able to accept the offer without first arguing for lower pay, notch behavior on her period, and a contract stating to never attempt to surpass a man within the same field. It is bad morals to argue to be equal to a man in spite of holding the same work experience, same education, and same skillset. I mean, how dare you hold a better position than your spouse, forcing him to cook, clean, and do other common female activities? Taking care of the children- meant to be done by women. Cooking three unique delicious meals a day- meant to be done by women. Holding an Executive Board member position in a corporation- that’s a man's world. It is unrealistic for women to argue to be equal to men; arguing that they are capable of all the same jobs, same political positions, same household roles, and all the same opportunities simply does not add up. Women have certainly not proven their abilities merely by earning their right to vote (a right given to men without their doing a thing) and major individual movements.

Granting women suffrage was like giving a dog a seat at the dining table; women get the chance to feel like men and (attempt or pretend) to partake in handling big decisions. Whether or not they are aware of what exactly they are doing is up for discussion, although the latter is more credible.  The events that drove women to create a movement for their right to vote are present today, yet have no power in their arguments today. Yes, women have proven they are capable of taking care of their household alone if their spouse is sent off to war, dies, or leaves them. Of course, rather than recognizing a woman for her successful role as a single mother, whether temporary or a lifestyle, it is essential that we remind women of their need for a partner.

Women may face individual suffering during childbirth, but in no way does this mean they are capable of raising their children on their own. The only manner women should raise their children is with a spouse that is working hard everyday to put food on the table, clothe them, and maintain a roof over their heads. Raising children is the only job women were built for, and the only one they have proven to be successful at (not even in all cases).

Whenever a woman enters the work field, all her actions mirror those of a man in the same field; however, her actions are never as effective or efficient. Even in our current election, Hillary Clinton is following in the footsteps of her husband by running for president. We must applaud her for stepping up to big leagues and putting on her grown-up, professional handbag, but we must do so with our heads tilted, our faces understanding or else she may take it the wrong way. Never underestimate how emotional a woman may be.
This emotionality is one of the driving forces for the Tampon Tax. Even though women have no control over their menstrual cycles, during their period they burden society with their constant cravings, emotional roller coasters, and even declare themselves unworkable.  Half of the society may not comprehend the pain but because of the burden it has on society, it is essential that we keep the Tampon Tax and force women to pay for this natural occurrence they are no fault for.  Rather the individuals that are filing lawsuits against the tax are completely absurd for doing so. They don’t realize the pain periods create for everyone women encounter, and this leverage is necessary.

Women have had their fair share of pageant worthy moments, but it is time they recognize their place in equivalence to men; there isn’t an equivalence. Arguing for gender equality is a light, entertaining activity women take part in, but they should return to only taking care of their children, cleaning and cooking. Who cares if it’s the 21st century and they have already made significant strides in political and cultural aspects of their society? Women don’t deserve to stand at the same platform as men, especially when you consider all the emotional hardships they put on men during their periods. It’d behoove you to be more considerate of people's feelings when on your next period or being emotional as always, after all, you don’t know what they may be going through.

Sincerely,
Satirical Feminist

Some of the most effective ways to get people to listen, and to ensure a raise in awareness is to portray it in a humorous, yet serious manner. This lighthearted approach encourages room for contra arguments. The letter format makes it personable, and I hope to raise awareness on what Feminisim is and why it isn't something that needs to be viewed as "sentiment-driven", "passive aggressive", and other negative conotations.