Voting: Past, Present, Future | Teen Ink

Voting: Past, Present, Future

By 0pfalzgraf BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
0pfalzgraf BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Voting is the past. As I jump out of my crimson red Trailblazer, I enter the Town Hall. Surrounded by strangers, I squeeze my mother’s hand. I am dressed in a twenty dollar red tank top with white shorts. A blue bow pulls back my clean bleach blonde hair. Prior to entering the cubicle I say, “Voting doesn’t matter, mom.” Overheard by a patriotic fellow, he explains, “Young girl, your vote is the future of America.” Simultaneously, my mother scribbles her ballot and tells me to listen to the old man. 

Voting is the present. I jump out of my snow white Chrysler 200. Surrounded by strangers, my hand will have no other to squeeze. My clean darker hair is held tightly back by a blue scrunchie. I wear clean blue jeans and a red t-shirt. Uneasy, I enter the college Town Hall. I grab my ballot and enter the voting cubicle. I flashback to when I was ten and careless about votes. Through social studies education, my vote claims to surely matter. The future of America relies on my vote.

Voting is the future. I will jump out of my royal blue Ford Explorer. Surrounded by strangers, I will feel my daughter's ten year old hand squeeze mine. I will wear white jeans and a red off-the-shoulder top. My highlighted, clean blonde hair will rest easy on my shoulder. Bravely, I enter the same Town Hall I did twenty-five years ago. I grab my ballot and enter the voting cubicle. My daughter will ask, “Mom, what does voting do for me?” I will flashback to the similar time voting did not matter to me, as well as my first voting experience. “My vote is the future of America.”

Voting allows for my transportation, clean hair and clothing. Voting allows for expression, lifestyle and safety.

Voting unites Americans. Voting is the past. Voting is the present. Voting is the future.