Real life AP world history study experience, shaped my perception | Teen Ink

Real life AP world history study experience, shaped my perception

June 5, 2023
By HarleyLiu SILVER, Irvine, California
HarleyLiu SILVER, Irvine, California
9 articles 0 photos 1 comment

When the waves hit the shore of the stone again and again, when the birds in the sky waved their wings again and again to resist the air that unexpected airflow, when the tiny ants lifted than their own weight hundreds of times over again. They all break their own endurance to some extent, creating a better state to meet the next test. I associate these experiences with my conquering of world history, because I am also under a lot of pressure of studying world history and it make myself to be a better myself.
  Remember in my first world history class, the teacher said to us you may have heard that historical events repeat themselves, but he tells us that you should be more concerned with the connections between events, the ideological lineage and the context. These words let us have some feeling but can not deeply understand the meaning of it. When I opened the textbook to find the connection between the events, I felt as if there were thousands of ants moving on my book. Every time I read the book, it flashed like a movie in my mind, and I could not remember and flexibly grasp the influence of this matter on the society in the context of that time. So, like a headless chicken, I sometimes focus on the timing of this historical event and sometimes on what made it happen. I held a kind of lucky psychology, the exam may only ask some relatively simple content about this historical event. However, until the exam, I found that the biggest difference between what I prepared and planned and what I did in the exam was that I just remember the beginning and end time of the event well, but what’s in the test was to compare the connection between the events. I am very confused, I think the two events happened in different regions and timelines. So these two events don't have the same factors, in other words they don't have the same background at the same time so if they have the same factors it's just a coincidence because many of the consequences are different.
  After thinking about it for a while, I realized that we are often intimidated by big, tedious things. But when we break it down into smaller pieces, it doesn't seem so hard. Just like a textbook of world history, when I am horrified by the sheer volume of reading, try breaking it down into individual historical events. This will not only reduce the pressure of reading, but also enable you to read more carefully. I think this habit can be applied in many places. Just like I want to apply for the Summer Program in Brown University, I will definitely encounter some unfamiliar fields. But as long as I'm patient and carefully break it down into small pieces to understand, it makes it easier.
 


The author's comments:

I’m an international student at that time, panic and not knowing what to do with the big load of work and the hardness behind it. But I work through my ways to overcome it. : )