"Writer's Block" | Teen Ink

"Writer's Block"

September 25, 2009
By Suzie17 GOLD, West Monroe, Louisiana
Suzie17 GOLD, West Monroe, Louisiana
19 articles 0 photos 29 comments

It was the twenty-first of September. I kept writing and writing and writing until it...stopped. It was like the wheels in my brain just stopped turning. I can't explain it. I felt as though I had written about everything anyone could write about that hadn't been written yet. I wrote about love, death, misery, sorrow, runaways, cutting, but never happiness. Because I write from what I know, and I have never known happiness. True, some stories are fiction. As well as ones that aren't. But when is it time to stop...to think? No one thinks anymore. They just plunge ahead. Look where it gets them. But I will wait. For inspiration that may never come. I'd rather be inspired, but expired, than on time and boring.
I don't want to grow bored with it. I'd rather use the creative energy to push past this block. But I'm still at a complete halt. Why have you stopped? To let me catch up? Are you listening? Does anyone ever really stop and listen? But they don't. There aren't enough listeners in the world. There are so many talkers with brilliant ideas. Useless, really. Because their words are wasted on people not really listening, just waiting on their turn to talk. But I will listen. And I hear the cry the world makes. I care. Do you care?
Does anyone ever stop to care? To see the things around them - the suffering, poverty, hunger and starvation, war, and mourning. But no one cares. Too wrapped up in themselves. So who cares? Who cares aabout the people around them that they don't even know that are suffering? But they'll never know because they don't listen. I care. And you see, this makes a circle.
All the world just needs to stop and think of those less fortunate, to walk in their shoes. Listen to their stories. And open your hearts and care. So spend a dollar on that junk jewelry the street vendor sells. You're used to so much better. I get it. But he needs that dollar more than you.
Designer shoes, designer handbags, designer jeans, expensive cars, luxury, laziness...now spin the globe. Poverty, homelessness, hunger. But look, there! No, not there. The globe you're holding. It's in your hands. Yes, there. You hold the world at your fingertips. Money, power. The power to change this. So next time you see those designer shoes you've just got to buy, just walk on by in your own vintage sneakers. There are people across the world that don't even own one pair of shoes. And how many pairs do you own? That's what I thought.
No, you're not to blame. And I place the blame on no one. But you can do something, even if the something seems like a nothing. Spend some time with someone younger than you. Be someone's friend. Loan money to that person you know will never pay you back.
Show love, and you will find love. And love can change the world.