Uniforms | Teen Ink

Uniforms

October 12, 2007
By Anonymous

Arguments are still being made on whether uniforms should be worn during school. This argument has not been resolved. People do not like the idea of a dress code because they are uncomfortable to wear uniforms in front of other people and not only that, it also violates the rights of the people.

Some colleges require their students to wear appropriate clothing in order to avoid failing classes. According to The Chronicle of Higher Education, Illinois State University, requires students to wear “acceptable business casual attire” such as button down and polo shirts for men, and knit skirts and tailored blouses for women. Students who wore inappropriate clothing received a zero for any work turned in that day.

According to the Indianapolis Public School District, high school students are now banned from wearing low-hanging pants, and other revealing clothes. If they were to wear these types of clothes, they were sent home. Jeans are banned, and students must now wear solid-colored pants, belts, and shirts with collars. Shirts that reveal or pants that sag below the waist are among the clothing articles that are forbidden.

The Elizabeth School District of New Jersey has spent more than $2 million since January 2006 to buy navy blazers, khaki pants, polo shirts, gyms shorts, and even socks as part of a new policy to put all its students in uniform. The superintendent of the school, Pablo Muñoz views the uniforms as another supply for the school. “They’re just getting another school supply: that’s how we see it.” Questions are being asked on whether the district should be getting into the clothing business, even if the schools are facing budget cuts and state lawmakers are under pressure to reduce property taxes.

Families are poor and cannot afford these uniforms. About 80 percent of the students who attend the Elizabeth schools are poor and could not have afforded to buy the uniforms. The 80 percent of these students are poor enough to qualify for free and reduced-price lunches.

Based on Lynne A. Isaacson, a student at University of Oregon, this school-uniform policy violates the students’ first amendment rights to freedom of expression. Religious students may come to school wearing jewelry, and clothing that may express their religions. If students are forced to remove their belongings, they might feel discriminated against the students’ background.

Will having a dress policy become a nation wide trend? We are not certain on whether this would continue to spread or whether the line would be cut. Based on the facts that are given, it is on the road of becoming a nation wide trend. Some countries around the world already have a dress policy for their schools. Should we care about this? There would be varieties of answers to this question. Most students would oppose while some parents might agree and might disagree. It matters on your opinion.