Reflection - A different look at the universe. | Teen Ink

Reflection - A different look at the universe.

Science and Mathematics tells us that the universe is in a constant state of Entropy. There are no specific laws in which things in nature specifically abide by. Humans have evolved in a way that only allows us to see in 3 dimensions. Philosophy, on the other hand, tells us that it is almost impossible for us to trust our selves. So why even care? Why even try to understand something with no specifically planned purpose? Why live without knowing there is a purpose to our lives? I believe that we have evolved to a point that makes us unique compared to other living things on the planet. We are conscious (we know we are going to die) and very intelligent beings. For instance - we have the ability to comprehend intergalactic space. We also have come up with ways to understand and interpret things that cannot be seen. More importantly, however, we have the ability to assign meaning and purpose to something that is evidently meaningless and without purpose.

My decision to abandon a belief in God has truly transformed my life, values, and view of the universe. Why leave something so cherished such as a belief in God you might ask? My answer to this is I, with reason, seem to believe that a lifetime of devotion to a God denotes self recognition and always enables us to place the blame on something/someone (God) else. It hinders our ability to comprehend how elegant and beautiful the universe is. For this reason I have truly begun to value the sense of wonder and amazement I get for just thinking about how something can have no purpose or meaning, but at the same time be amazing and beautiful. Belief in God constrains us to the little world that we have created for ourselves here on Earth. Instead, I have chosen to follow a quest for truth where ever it may lead me. I strongly believe that we have the ability to do things that we never dreamed possible. I would like to end with an inspirational poem that puts things in perspective.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.
It is real.

-William Blake