My Religion | Teen Ink

My Religion

December 10, 2007
By Anonymous

My Religion

When people ask me what I believe in, what higher power I worship, I simply say music. Music is my belief. My parents shrug off my beliefs and just say that I am being a “teenager” and I will soon grow out of my “silly” beliefs. They clearly do not understand. Music is the greatest gift musicians give to us they give us answers.

Pick any problem in the world and there is a song just waiting to ease the crisis. Any emotion can be simply be matched with a song. Problem with the parental units? That’s an easy one, “Falling Away From Me” by Korn. Want to get away from society? Open your ears to “Road Trippin’” by The Red Hot Chili Peppers. Caught in the miserable side effects of love? The medicine to cure the despair and rage is “Love, Reign o’er Me” by The Who. Sticking up to the man? Against the government and the war? “Testify” by Rage Against the Machine would even pump George Bush up. Name any sensation and there is a song before you just wanting to be heard.

I’ve always believed in music, but when it truly showed me its power was when I first listened to Pink Floyd. The lyrics aren’t just words going along with just an average beat of instruments. No, it’s much more than that. It is poetry being expressed with amazing acoustics in a mixture of beautifully spoken instruments. The notes glide with the philosophical influential lyrics.

Music is my religion because it does not leave anyone out. You can be black, white, purple, gay, or straight; music will never reject you. There is a type of music for every person, no one is left out. Music is always there when your ears are ready. Music has no guidelines, requirements, or place of worship. Music will never get in a war with another religion. Music only offers love.

Music has always been there for me. Music was there at my grandmother’s funeral, before a party to get pumped, on the way to school every morning to wake me up, and especially music is always there at night to drift me to sleep. I believe in music, always and forever.