Mechanically oblivious | Teen Ink

Mechanically oblivious

By Thinker PLATINUM, Na, Connecticut
Thinker PLATINUM, Na, Connecticut

A wise word does not make the speaker wise.

Every day you get into your car, turn it on and it runs, your I pod plays music on demand and your television has something one even at midnight. That’s all fine and good, but do you know how they all work? Have you ever wondered what it takes to get those creature comforts that you can’t live without to work the way they do? Most people don’t, the car works when you turn the key, your computer works when you hit the right keys but do you know anymore than that? Could you fix it if there were no one to do it for you, could you even get it to work when you needed it to? If you answer no to any of these questions then you belong the mechanically oblivious group; you spend every day relying on these technologies for your every whim and yet you don’t know how they work. Your probably one of those people who couldn’t live without face book and yet you couldn’t even make your own web page your self. When your car has a flat tire you wouldn’t even know where to get the spare. Those are the most annoying people on the planet, the ones who have no excuse why they can’t learn how something works, yet they expect it to be at their beckoning call. Have some respect for the machines you use and the people who build and care for them, learn how they work.