Being A Teenager - Being A Conformist? | Teen Ink

Being A Teenager - Being A Conformist?

February 14, 2012
By ILOVESHERLOCK PLATINUM, Sydney, Other
ILOVESHERLOCK PLATINUM, Sydney, Other
31 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney


You like loud music, hanging with friends and you can never have enough parties. You just cut your hair to match your best friend’s and you love wearing jeans. You’re a teenager. But being a teenager is more than just music and clothes – being a teenager is about being you.

Depression. Stress. Anxiety. Well over half the teenagers who experience depression, stress, anxiety or a combination of the three, experience it because they think they don’t fit in. They think their walk has to be like their class’ favourite pop star’s, they think that their clothes have to match the ‘popular’ clique’s, they think they have to play the same sport as the rest of their friends…they think they have to conform. But being a teenager is about expressing yourself, right? But, if so, how can you show off your individualism by conforming? How can you be yourself if you just want to look like somebody else?

Being a teenager is not about fitting in. Being a teenager is not about conforming. Being a teenager is about being special, unique and the best person you can be – in a nutshell, it’s about being yourself. Teenagers often look at others and think that unless they’re like them, they won’t be liked or appreciated. They couldn’t be further from the truth! If you copy everyone else, then you’re not special, you’re just one of the mob! But if you’re not afraid to just be yourself and show off your own talents and flair, that is what people will see in you and love about you. They will love you for what you are, rather than what you’re not.

Never be afraid to be yourself. You have your own set of positive attributes, so why think you have to be like someone else? You’re you, and there’s only one you in the whole world, so be proud of yourself! Do you play an instrument? Are you the world’s next J.K. Rowling? Can you shoot a goal like no one else? Whatever it may be, you can do things no one else can. You don’t need to be like the majority – if you imitate everybody else, how will you stand out?!

Being a teenager is not about being a conformist. Being a teenager is about being proud of yourself and standing up for what you believe is right – even if you’re standing alone. Have your own fashion sense? It’ll never get into a magazine if you just follow what’s already in the magazine! Like wearing your hair in a particular way? Who’s going to notice if you wear it like your best friend’s? So, I say again, being a teenager is not about fitting in, being part of the majority or blending in. Being a teenager is most certainly not about conforming. Being a teenager is about being you – because you’re special, you’re precious, and you’re unique – in a way that no one else is.


The author's comments:
I hope that this piece will help readers to understand that they're all special just as they are - and that they don't need to conform!